Changing alternator on a 1994 SC

doable

It can be done, but it's very tight. The coil pack will have to come off. It may help to remove the tensioner too. And it will still have to go in like a perfect puzzle piece. Don't forget the third bolt on the bottom back side of the alternator.

good luck
Bob

MartianBob said:
It can be done, but it's very tight. The coil pack will have to come off. It may help to remove the tensioner too. And it will still have to go in like a perfect puzzle piece. Don't forget the third bolt on the bottom back side of the alternator.

good luck
Bob
Shhhh... That would be the special secret "L" bracket. :rolleyes: Having detemined that It is redundant and doesn't appear to really do anything, I of course went ahead and reinstalled it anyway. :rolleyes:

Short answer is no and what the previous posts mentioned is correct. Get that tensioner off there and it makes it easier. Also that lower long bolt below the alt does not come all the way out. It will come out as far as the back of the IC will let it. You'll probably have to wiggle the alt. back and forth a bit once you've removed all the fasteners.
For me, getting it out isn't as difficult as getting it back in. Getting that long bolt on the bottom to line up and thread correctly was tricky for me. It's a very tight fit for the alt. to go back in. After my OEM alt. went out, I had to replace subsequent ones a few times and got a lot better at removing/installing the alt.
Good luck.

Back