Poly Rear UCA bushings

68COUGAR

Does anybody make/sell Poly Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings?

I'm buying a pr. of new rear upper control arms. Can anybody tell me if they come with bushings, poly or rubber?

68COUGAR

No one makes them. I have asked this question many times. For some reason they think with an IRS rear that it would actually make the car handle worse. That is why you can only get them for the knuckle.

Chris

Bench Racers

seawalkersee said:
For some reason they think with an IRS rear that it would actually make the car handle worse. That is why you can only get them for the knuckle. Chris
The real problem is that nobody's done it. Bench Racers prefer to nay-say an idea to death, rather than lift a finger to prove or disprove it. I for one, believe the handling would improve. Ride quality might decline, but that's gonna happen anytime you replace a rubber bushing with poly. If somebody made poly UCA bushings, I'm buy a set in a milisecond. I think a lot of the "open minded" SC Guys would too!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Whoever posted a reply to my question about it had a thread attached where one of the supposed engineers stepped up to the plate and answered up. I didnt read it all but I did see where money would be wise spent elsewhere.

Chris

I've read some posts that the engineers personally took time to post here. It's a bad idea to put poly anywhere other than the knuckles on the rear suspension. Rubber is the way to go, and that's what I'm going to put on my rear end rebuild when I do it. I've got the poly knuckle bushings, but I prefer to keep within the engineering degree of safety. I tend to listen to the engineers when they have something to say. And in this case, he was very forceful about the use of poly...Don't do it in the rear suspension.

It's even been found that poly up front just doesn't work either. Especially the front strut rod bushings. As soon as they undergo a strain, they pop off.

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that it's not just arm chair racers who think it's not a good idea. The suspension engineer didn't think it was a good idea.

So THATS what that big @$$ washer was for... :D In all seriousness. I did not read that entire article but it makes a lot of sence. All I have to say is try to put those bushings in the knuckle and think of what the weight of the vehicle would do to that. I had to shave about 1/2 of the lip off to get it to go in the hole. (insert jokes here)__________________________________.

Chris

Back