head gaskets

supercoupe95

im pretty new th the sc's and i was wondering how hard it is to change the head gaskets? also since i have the motor down that far ill proubly do other mods. what i was wondering, i herd that the 3.8 is basily a 5.0 missing 2 cylinders? i was wondering if gear drives for a 5.0 will fit? (dont ask why)also about how much dose it cost to port the heads? and where is a good place to get parts. any info would be apprecated. thanks oh yeah in case it makes a difference i have a 95 sc auto

It's a pretty big job, but if you own an SC long enough it will have to be done at some point. Did my HGs last fall and it was not fun to do in my driveway. I agree that if you're going to have it all torn down doing the HGs, you might as well do everything you need to do while it's apart (dress up the engine as well as everything mechanical and cleaning). If you need any tips or anything let me know. As far as porting goes, there's a guy close to me that use to do an outstanding job on heads, but if I'm not mistaken he's gotten away from it. I can give you his number if you want. He's actually very knowledgable on these SCs. At one point his 95 with all kinds of crazy mods was turning 480hp and 560ftlbs at the rear wheels with this same 3.8. He's since pulled out his 3.8 and is in the process of dropping a 5.4 navigator motor in it. :confused: Not sure how he was going to accomplish this since the 5.4 didn't even have one of the heads on it and it was bumping the shock towers :confused: . Anyway, I'm rambling on. Let me know and good luck.

Back