M L S head gaskets

tim

Anybody know of a source for M. L. S. head gaskets local in the Chicagoland area? I will be putting my new heads on in the next few weeks and I need a set asap. Thanks Tim :D

Tim,

The last set I bought came from the local Ford dealer. Autozone could have ordered the same gaskets from Felpro but they were going to cost more, so for once the dealer was the cheapest option.

David

tim said:
Anybody know of a source for M. L. S. head gaskets local in the Chicagoland area? I will be putting my new heads on in the next few weeks and I need a set asap. Thanks Tim :D

Did you have your deck and heads cut to the proper finish for MLS HGs? If you still have a course cut then stick with the basic Fel-Pros

BKB said:
Did you have your deck and heads cut to the proper finish for MLS HGs? If you still have a course cut then stick with the basic Fel-Pros

The machine shop I dealt with says they probably don't get the proper RA; but they recommend MLS gaskets, and never had a problem blowing them, but most of what they do is prolly SBC...

I am curious if close is good enough?

From what I've read, very few machines can get the required RA, unless they got newer equipment... I seen my block at the machine shsop the other day, it looked like very clean machining marks, but not mirrir finish...

I'd kinda rather blow a HG, rather than break smething else. But how much boost will regular ole felpros handle??? Will they pop off at 15-17lbs???

I was hoping those cometics would be available by now, but I'm still kind debating the MLS gaskets...

Last edited:
I believe XR7 Dave has the felpro's on his cougar's block which is running some very high boost numbers as well as HP numbers.

I personally wouldn't go with the MLS without getting the recommended finishes. You're just asking for a headache if you don't. Isn't Ford even not allowing heads to be resurfaced if the gasket is being replaced, requiring new heads when doing MLS gaskets under warranty? I thought I read that in a TSB somewhere.

Mike8675309 said:
I believe XR7 Dave has the felpro's on his cougar's block which is running some very high boost numbers as well as HP numbers.
QUOTE]

So you mean he is running regular ole felpros, just to make sure got it straight?

The MLS gaskets don't need as smooth of a surface as the manufacturer reccomends. What they do need is a flat surface and some ARP head studs.

My block has the standard finish with visible milling serations and my heads are decked to be smooth as glass. To make up for the block's imperfect surface, I coat the block side of the gasket with copper spray.

I've had the current set on the car for nearly two years and even with overdriving the blower 24% and a 100 hp shot of nitrous they haven't ever leaked. And best of all, they aren't degrading over time like the composite gaskets do, so they are just as strong now as the day they were installed.

David

I used MLS gaskets for a 01 3.8 mustang I got them at advanced auto for around 90.00. I had to drill out some water jacket holes to match the holes in the SC gasketsAnd remove to brass rivits that would have ended up inbetween the head and block mateing surface. I had the heads resurfaced not to a shine but fairly smooth, Then I coated the block, gaskets, and heads with a few coats of copper sealent. Also used ARP head studs. I now have about 6-7,000 miles on them with no problem and yes I do beat the car all the time LOL!

Thanks for all the info guys. My block and heads are very smooth and I will use the copper spray as well. With those and the o-rings on the block I should be able to run more boost then I am now. I only have the blower overdriven 10% I should be getting a snow system soon as well. With the added head work my goal of 12.99 should be a reality this year. :D

o-rings? Do you really want that? I've heard of some folks filling the groves in and resurfacing the head to get rid of those.

Mike8675309 said:
o-rings? Do you really want that? I've heard of some folks filling the groves in and resurfacing the head to get rid of those.

Tim,

I would not do orings with the MLS gaskets.

David

Back