header installation kit q's

Swade

Hi,

I am starting to get the parts together for my header install. I was wanting to know if the kit from SCP is the way to go or are there better options? I did a search and found some info about a bolt kit from stage 8 and there was some confusion about part numbers for the gaskets. I am also looking for the part numbers for the replacement o2 sensors that I will need for Kooks mid-length headers.

Also, what is a good guess on amount of time to expect a shop to take to install the headers (at $75 an hour!). I would love to try and tackle the task myself, but I am not going to have the time to fumble my way through an install before I gotta move to California.

Thanks in advance
Wade

Are these right??

Ok. Here is a parts list of what I have pieced together doing searches on the board. Could someone that has done a header install before take a look at the list and see if there is anything wrong or missing from the it? Also has anyone had any fitment/clearence issues with the resonator and mufflers I have selected?

HEADER GASKETS:
94-99 Mustang 3.8L exhaust manifold gasket
Fel-Pro: MS 95528

HEADER BOLTS:
Stage 8
Kit # 6919 Ford 4.0 V6 Header Bolt Kit

LONGER O2 SENSORS:
Bosch 15717 13"
Bosch 15718 16"

RESONATOR/X-PIPE:
Magnaflow 14379
-4" x 9" Oval
Dual/Dual
2.5" Inlet/Outlet
11" Body Length, 17" Overall Length.
Tru-X Perforated Core

MUFFLERS:
Borla Turbo XL 40665
-2 1/2" inlet/outlet
19"x 4"x 9 1/2"
center/offset

HIGH FLOW CATS:
??????
Need input

Swade said:
Ok. Here is a parts list of what I have pieced together doing searches on the board. Could someone that has done a header install before take a look at the list and see if there is anything wrong or missing from the it? Also has anyone had any fitment/clearence issues with the resonator and mufflers I have selected?

HEADER GASKETS:
94-99 Mustang 3.8L exhaust manifold gasket
Fel-Pro: MS 95528

HEADER BOLTS:
Stage 8
Kit # 6919 Ford 4.0 V6 Header Bolt Kit

LONGER O2 SENSORS:
Bosch 15717 13"
Bosch 15718 16"

RESONATOR/X-PIPE:
Magnaflow 14379
-4" x 9" Oval
Dual/Dual
2.5" Inlet/Outlet
11" Body Length, 17" Overall Length.
Tru-X Perforated Core

MUFFLERS:
Borla Turbo XL 40665
-2 1/2" inlet/outlet
19"x 4"x 9 1/2"
center/offset

HIGH FLOW CATS:
??????
Need input

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with part numbers, but the gaskets and stage8 locking header bolts seem right. As for the CATS, personally, I run them and I don't think that they decrease performance that much. I would buy them from supercoupe performance because I know he has the smaller ones that fit nicely around an AOD and will give you even more room for a 5 speed.

Thanks...

So I went to some exhaust shops to get an estimate on how much to put in exhaust and headers. The first seemed pretty enthusiastic on doing the job till I opened the hood for him. Then he literly just kinda stared at the motor and scratched his head for about 5 min. and said "Thats a big F8&#$% job!" So basicaly he said he would do it but I would have to pay for however long it took. The next place said they would install them for what their manual said on time, 6hrs. Lets see 6hrs. x $76.50=almost $500 not inclusing any parts or even getting started on the rest of the exhaust. So I think I will get some help and do it myself after I get to California.

Can anyone else confirm the part numbers?

Swade said:
So I went to some exhaust shops to get an estimate on how much to put in exhaust and headers. The first seemed pretty enthusiastic on doing the job till I opened the hood for him. Then he literly just kinda stared at the motor and scratched his head for about 5 min. and said "Thats a big F8&#$% job!" So basicaly he said he would do it but I would have to pay for however long it took. The next place said they would install them for what their manual said on time, 6hrs. Lets see 6hrs. x $76.50=almost $500 not inclusing any parts or even getting started on the rest of the exhaust. So I think I will get some help and do it myself after I get to California.

Can anyone else confirm the part numbers?

The first time I installed my headers it took me all weekend working by myself. It definitely would have been quicker with a helper. I just drove the car up on ramps and started going to town. When finished I drove to the local muffler shop with the open exhaust that ended a little behind the transmission (I did have hi-flow CATs too). I seem to recall the hardest part is the lower IC tube being in the way.

I had a shop install mine and the SCP exhaust system. They quoted me $600 and afterwards said they lost their a$$ on the job and wouldn't do another one for less than $850.

I think most of their problems were with getting the exhaust system parts to fit together correctly. Said they spent alot of time trimming and bending stuff to make it fit correctly.

Your better off getting the headers, down pipes, cats and o2 sensors installed first, then take it to an exhuast shop for the rest of the work.

David

Can I drive it that way?

Would I be able to drive the car to the exhaust shop with just the down pipes, O2 sensors, and cats on? Or would It be better to trailer it there? I've been told that you shouldnt run the car with just headers or you will burn up the valves. Either way its gonna sound like a whole lot of crap with just cats on it.

Swade said:
Would I be able to drive the car to the exhaust shop with just the down pipes, O2 sensors, and cats on? Or would It be better to trailer it there? I've been told that you shouldnt run the car with just headers or you will burn up the valves. Either way its gonna sound like a whole lot of crap with just cats on it.
I only had to drive about 10 miles to the closest muffler shop. And boy was it loud and obnoxious. For a short trip, you should be ok. Just make sure you don't have an oil near the ends of the pips that might catch fire.

Fire would be a bad thing!

Well I am guessing it would be at least 40 mile drive to exhaust shop in Lancaster. As long as it would not harm anything i'd suffer through that drive.
I am going to be stationed at Edwards AFB and should be able to use the auto skills shop there. Help would be greatly apreciated!

Back