Painting Rims

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Ok, unless someone wants to trade me their stock black 35th anny rims for my stock 89 silver ones, how would i go about painting my rims to make them look like the 35th anny black ones. (im going for the black on black on black...on black) look :p

I would strip all the paint and clearcoat off and have them powdercoated. In fact I have an extra set I plan on doing that with. They look great, and works alot better than paint.

Last edited:
Ppg

Im going to do this to my 35th rims. Just a light sandblasting to clean them up really good, cover the polished ring though, dont want to sandblast that. Then just PPG basecoat and clearcoat, same as the car. Powdercoating will last longer, but never seems to shine quite like paint.

I don't know, I've seen some really blingin' powder coat!

I have access to powder coating equipment, but I am concerned about screwing up the outer ring myself.

I'm sure I'll try it out one day...

hmm...didnt really answer my question guys. I want to do the painting myself, with little or no rented equipment, just spray paint and such. Is there a good way to do this?

Problem is the clearcoat. Most of the rattle can clears ive seen turn yellow and crack up quickly. Add the heat of driving and your brakes and it might not look good for long. I guess you could use a high temp engine spray paint though. You just might be suprised how cheap you can get a body shop to paint your rims if you do the prep work of sanding them down.

Back