Specific question on engine balancing???

sizemoremk

When the engine is balanced, are the rods/pistons balanced to a particular journal/bore position?

I ask becasue I had a balanced rotating assembley matched to a fresh block and the rods/piston have now been mixed up.

I labeled the rods/pistons when I took everything to the machine shop, and the machinist was satisfied that the assembly was balanced because each rod/piston was withing 2.5 grams on his scale, (I watched him do this). He showed me where things had been ground off, and the marks on the crank, etc; so he was satisfied it had een balanced.

I picked up the pistons from the machine shop and the labels I had on the rods/pistons had been removed form several of them.

Should I be worried?

It seems like it shoud be OK if they are all balanced the same, but I usually put everything in the spot I took it out of. This shop also threw my valvetrain in a box and that worried me, but I guess if a valvejob will be done I'm OK... A chevy guy I work with said that was OK so long as a valvejob is being done, but I was kinda surprised at this....

Thanks guys!

you worry too much, as long as the pistons face the right way i guess, some have an offset on the pin bore, putting them backwards might get you more stroke or something but make noise, beats me :confused: . I dont think I've ever had a valve-train fail by throwing it all in a box, maybe if you were to re-use a non roller cam and lifters<----they wear together<--we have roller lifters<--same part # as 5.0 Mustang etc

Back