Boost HELP!!

SCPilot

Well all I bought the 300 hp kit from SCP but I also bought the Magnum Powers intake plenum and upgraded to the 85mm TB and the 3 1/2 fresh air intake system. I also of course have the headers and the entire exhuast wich did not fit worth a sh** and I had to pay extra to have the exhuast shop cut and weld some new tube and dent up my pasenger side floor to have it fit. But that is another story that I will take that up with Bill tommorow. This kit also came with the 5% pulleyand I am now pushing about 16lbs of boost with the stock gauge. I do not want to blow a head gasket is this normal? I might also mention that my SC is a 95. What do you all think? Thank you in advance. I will also say that it sounds great and traction is a serious problem out of the hole. I ran side by side a mustang that I know runs in the High 13s :D
Sorry soo Long
Tim

Last edited:
For a V6 i'm not sure that i'd use that much boost unless u have stronger internal engine parts such as forged piston & connecting rods. I would lower it to about 12 or maybee 13. I think it would lower your chances of a blown head gasket. It's really up to u though. U might blow a gasket at 16 or you might not u really don't know until something happens. You might try asking guys at performance shops to see what they think.

I think I'm jealous.

I also think that when you talk with Bill, he'll take good care of you. Bill's a good guy.

Upgrading the exhaust should help you a lot towards saving your headgaskets. But if you're worried, perhaps you want to step back to the stock pulley, and lower your boost a bit in the process.

Enjoy!

MIke O.

SCPilot,

our 95 blowers are much better than the 89 - 93 blowers so using a 5% pulley is really like adding an 8% pulley. If you have headers and upgraded exhaust you should be fine in terms of headgaskets. Remember the 94/95 cars have the better "fel pro" gaskets from Ford also.

If you are still concerned about the HG's, then you could always go the route I took and go with a blower pulley from an 89 - 93 SC. This works like a 3% OD pulley.

Just for the record I think the 5% will be okay. Just my opinion.

I woudln't worry dude, i have a 1991 with stock blower and 10% pulley and on my aftermarket gauge pulling 18lbs. stock headgaskets i believe with 143,000kms. And Flowmaster Force II exhaust.

Thanks for all the help guys!! Just need to address my temp is a little high and I will be VERY happy with my SC
I will include pics soon!
Tim

When did you notice the abnormal temp readings? It could be from the added backpressure; I wouldn't think you'd see 16psi of boost with full exhaust including headers, hiflo/gutted cats, & cat back. From what I've seen, many ppl here with setups like these avg around 12. That is a large intake though.

Back