"Tuning" Questions

95SC_Money_Pit

I have a 95SC that I bought new in 94 and along with replacing "all" sensors, IAC, coil pack, wires, plugs, ignition module, hoses, pcv valve, ect, have recently modded the following areas:

5 Angle valve job
36Lb "Ford Motorsport" Injectors
Home ported heads w/ matched intake
73MM C&L MAF w/ proper tube
New Dynomax exhaust w/ hi-flow cats
K&N Filter panel w/ removed resonator
190lb Fuel pump & filter

It runs great when I'm at WOT, but not as good at part throttle like when it was brand new. I know that 125K will affect the performance, but maybe my mods have had a negative affect on the tuning.

Is there anybody in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that has experience in tuning these cars? Will I need to buy a new chip that can be flashed or can the factory chip be re-flashed. Will a "proper" tuning incorporate the use of a dyno? Can the fuel/air ratios be adjusted on a new chip?

I just want to get the proper tuning without getting ripped off. I'm not looking for 13 second 1/4 mile times but would like to feel that "passing lane" torque that I used to experience without WOT.

95SC_Money_Pit said:
I have a 95SC that I bought new in 94 and along with replacing "all" sensors, IAC, coil pack, wires, plugs, ignition module, hoses, pcv valve, ect, have recently modded the following areas:

5 Angle valve job
36Lb "Ford Motorsport" Injectors
Home ported heads w/ matched intake
73MM C&L MAF w/ proper tube
New Dynomax exhaust w/ hi-flow cats
K&N Filter panel w/ removed resonator
190lb Fuel pump & filter

It runs great when I'm at WOT, but not as good at part throttle like when it was brand new. I know that 125K will affect the performance, but maybe my mods have had a negative affect on the tuning.

Is there anybody in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that has experience in tuning these cars? Will I need to buy a new chip that can be flashed or can the factory chip be re-flashed. Will a "proper" tuning incorporate the use of a dyno? Can the fuel/air ratios be adjusted on a new chip?

I just want to get the proper tuning without getting ripped off. I'm not looking for 13 second 1/4 mile times but would like to feel that "passing lane" torque that I used to experience without WOT.

What color is the tube in the meter? Most likely you will be better off replacing the stock meter for now and having the car dyno tuned for the C&L. Chances are the C&L has leaned out the car some causing the load calculations to be off and consequently the car is not going open loop as quickly as it should. This will make for lousy throttle response. I do mail order chips but I won't be in Dallas real soon. I'll be in OKC in October if you can wait....

O2 sensors

Hello.
I recently had trouble with my 94 SC with poor mid throttle performance and an occosasional CEL light.
Turned out to be the O2 sensors.
Now she runs strong all through the trottle.
If your O2 are qriginal 125k then they are due.
Bill

blue94sc said:
Hello.
I recently had trouble with my 94 SC with poor mid throttle performance and an occosasional CEL light.
Turned out to be the O2 sensors.
Now she runs strong all through the trottle.
If your O2 are qriginal 125k then they are due.
Bill

Bill
O2 sensors always did help a little when I replaced them. In fact I have had to replace them both at least 4 times in the last 125K. The CEL always led me the sensors and the problem would be cured upon replacment. The sensors currently have about 5K on the since I did the HG's. Thanks for the suggestion

XR7 Dave
I can meet you in OKC without a problem. Just give me a date and I will run up.
One other problem that I have is a long shift lag in the transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd. When I'm at WOT and manually shift the selector, I have to move the shifter at 4000 rpm to make it shift at 5000 rpm. Even though there is a long lag, it shifts hard into 2nd and always breaks the tires loose. Can this lag also be taken care of by a new chip?

95SC_Money_Pit said:
XR7 Dave
I can meet you in OKC without a problem. Just give me a date and I will run up.
One other problem that I have is a long shift lag in the transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd. When I'm at WOT and manually shift the selector, I have to move the shifter at 4000 rpm to make it shift at 5000 rpm. Even though there is a long lag, it shifts hard into 2nd and always breaks the tires loose. Can this lag also be taken care of by a new chip?

It takes a certain amount of time for the valves to fill with fluid so that the shift can be completed which means that the shift will take a certain amount of time to complete after the command is given. This is a mechanical function and cannot be changed in the EEC. I can program a couple different parameters that will make the shift more precise, but some of the delay will remain. The real fix for the problem you are experiencing is to program the automatic full throttle shift so that it occurs at the desired time thereby eliminating the need for manual upshifting. The *actual* shift points can be manipulated up or down by infinite increments.

I will be in OKC for the SC Shootout on Oct 6-9. I will be tuning on the 6-7th. Check the SCCOA Events forum for details.

95SC_Money_Pit said:
One other problem that I have is a long shift lag in the transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Have you replaced the 1-2 accumulator piston and spring? Mine were worn out and broken long before 125k.

dms825 said:
Have you replaced the 1-2 accumulator piston and spring? Mine were worn out and broken long before 125k.

The new shape for that piston is a bit different than the OEM one. I changed mine when I put my Trans Go shift kit, & mine shifts VERY nicely now.

Back