to those with 94-98 mustand hedders

Does anyone know if I can reuse the stock exhaust manifold bolts? Or should I buy new ones?

Hey Jake,
I have a set of mustang headers which I'm going to be using on my SC, I would just buy new hardware for them, I wouldin't trust the stock rusty weakend ones, the last thing I would want is to be finishing up the job and have one of thoes suckers sheer off and having to figure out a way to get the old piece out without taking the head off. :eek:
I also hear that you have to cut the driver's side collector off and rotate the flange 90* to clear the steering column, I still have yet to play with getting mine on but I say replace the bolts with new and save a future headache for $5 worth of hardware. ;)

Last edited:
I would replace them also, cheap to do. :D If you have time run a tap in the head to clean out the threads..

I figured I should buy new ones but was worried about the legnth, I didn't want them to bottom out in the head. There's a 1/4 inch difference in thickness of flanges between the stock manifolds and the hedders. Flip or Greg where did you find new ones?

Jake said:
I figured I should buy new ones but was worried about the legnth, I didn't want them to bottom out in the head. There's a 1/4 inch difference in thickness of flanges between the stock manifolds and the hedders. Flip or Greg where did you find new ones?

I want to say it was AutoZone or Discount Auto ? I think I had to check the length to make sure?

When I changed from manifolds to long-tubes on my '86 5.0 the flanges were thinner also. I bought header flange bolts from www.summitracing.com and they worked great. I would just get them from them.

And I'm curious, what brands of Mustang header work on SCs?

Whoa...

:confused: Did I miss something? You're using Mustang headers on a TBSC? Someone please PM me and clue me in on what's up with this...please? Is there an alternative to the extremely expensive headers offered by Kooks aside from building a set yourself? :confused:

ThorsSuperBrd said:
:confused: Did I miss something? You're using Mustang headers on a TBSC? Someone please PM me and clue me in on what's up with this...please? Is there an alternative to the extremely expensive headers offered by Kooks aside from building a set yourself? :confused:

The MAC 3.8 Mustang headers will fit with just a little modification if I recall right.

You can re-use your old flange bolts with the Mustang Headers, I've done it 3 times on 3 different SC's with no problems whatsoever. Those bolts only get about 20 ftlbs of torque,so there is no way they will "shear off" You'll pull the threads out of the heads long before the steel bolts will shear.

Back