diference between na and sc head gskts??

DirtySouthBird

Ok i've heard from some people that you can use the 3.8 non/sc head gaskets on the sc block and that only difference is that it does not include some gaskets that are needed like the intake plenum gasket (the one in the back)... I can get a cheap set for a 3.8 na and would like to get them if they can be used.. a friend is bulding his block reg. 3.8 gskts since they say they are the same.. The told him at Advance Auto parts that the ony differnce between the gasket set from 3.8 non/sc and 3.8 sc is just some of the gaskets, but the head gaskets are the same and would work.. can some one please clarify this for me..
thanks,
fred

I've used both the n/a and sc kits from felpro. The only gaskets the sc has the n/a doesnt is the one between the plenum and lower intake (also has a few O-Rings that I think it said were for the I/C tubes). Thats all I can recall anyway, the rest of the gaskets should be the same. I would double check the head gaskets. They appear to be the same, but I don't have the part numbers to compare anymore.

I'm not sure but all you'd have to do is have your parts guy look up the part number for the individual head gaskets on both..... if the part number is the same on the head gasket but different for the set, then you are correct. IF the part number is different on the individual head gasket then there is something different no matter how minor. In that case I'd use the one listed for the SC in case you have a problem they can't say it's because you used the wrong gasket.

kevenj90sc said:
I'm not sure but all you'd have to do is have your parts guy look up the part number for the individual head gaskets on both..... if the part number is the same on the head gasket but different for the set, then you are correct. IF the part number is different on the individual head gasket then there is something different no matter how minor. In that case I'd use the one listed for the SC in case you have a problem they can't say it's because you used the wrong gasket.

After I posted that, it hit me that the SC and N/A heads have different water passages, so the head gaskets would have to be different.

mn12sc35th said:
After I posted that, it hit me that the SC and N/A heads have different water passages, so the head gaskets would have to be different.

OK...Bingo...nevermind... ;)

Back