Will an sc supercharger fit a 3.8 2002 mustang?

T

tim t

I own a 2002 mustang v-6 and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a thunderbird sc supercharger on a mustang? I know you would have to get the lower intake manifold the intercooler and piping as well. I am guessing the main problem would be the fit of the lower intake, because the sc block is slightly different than mine. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks,
-Tim

PM Sent...
Copy and Paste...
Assuming a V6...
Your split port induction heads WILL NOT fit a supercoupe Intake(99-04 V6 Mustangs come with Split Port Induction heads(SPI), for a roughly 40 HP gain, don't be dismayed, as your heads/intake are superior to mine, and really love a turbo/supercharger... just not an Eaton). You will have to custom fab one, or wait for 'Speedkills' kit on 3.8mustang.com. I'd recommend Procharger or Turbo for you. There is a guy named Justin who runs 10's in his 00 I believe with a stock bottom end and twin turbos.

Assuming v8...
BBK makes a M-90 kit for the 5.0 I believe, I am not sure about the 4.6.

If you have a 94-98 motor in your 02...
Its a whole lot of work! See 'My SC Install Thread' on 3.8mustang.com. I now have all parts, just need a free weekend(and a couple work days) to bolt the stuff on.

alright

heres the deal-ive done the swap twice already, and it was horrible both times-lol-i dont recomend it to anyone over buying a bolt on setup, but if youre brave, i guess go for it-heres a basic rundown-feel free to email me (MikeOefelein@aol.com) if you need anymore help after this-i have a few of the blower setups as well)

It will PHYSICALLY fit on the mustang 3.8, but not with the split port heads, youll need sc heads. youll also need the following, off a thunderbird sc (parts marked with * are 94-95 specific):

flexplate* (auto) or flywheel (manual)
timing cover*
balancer*
both accesory brackets with ALL accesories
lower intake
blower
fuel rail
injectors
inlet and outlet plenums
(may have forgot some stuff-email me for more specific info)

heres what to expect:

you cant use either the scs OR the mustangs ac lines-neither directly fit-look forward to getting new custom ones if you wish to retain ac.

the mustang radiator WILL fit with the intercooler, but b/c the radiator blocks the intercooler, expect heat soak-and i mean BAD heat soak-a sc radiator is recomended here, as well as the fan

the tps, iac, oil pressure sending unit, and sometimes temperature sending unit leads just dont reach-so expect to have to extend these connecters by a few inches.

mustang valve covers will work, but having never done it, im not positive-i hear you have to reverse them?

youll need to get a larger fuel pump-generally stockers just wont cut it

dont expect to drive the car without a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD tune-it WILL NOT RUN WELL-I believe the technical term is-like dawgshyt-lol

thats the best im doing on the forums, ill be happy to answer any more questions you have if you email me, mainly my experience is with the 94-98 mustangs, splitport motors may require different wiring modifications, but im unsure as to the specifics.

oh yeah

also, ive always had the car tuned to eliminate egr, as none of it fits properly anyway, and it seemed useless to bother making it work-its like winning the special olympics-even if you win..................................

Charkly said:
heres the deal-ive done the swap twice already, and it was horrible both times-lol-i dont recomend it to anyone over buying a bolt on setup, but if youre brave, i guess go for it-heres a basic rundown-feel free to email me (MikeOefelein@aol.com) if you need anymore help after this-i have a few of the blower setups as well)

It will PHYSICALLY fit on the mustang 3.8, but not with the split port heads, youll need sc heads. youll also need the following, off a thunderbird sc (parts marked with * are 94-95 specific):

You do not need Supercoupe Heads, Single Port heads will work(94-98).

Charkly said:
flexplate* (auto) or flywheel (manual)
timing cover*
balancer*
both accesory brackets with ALL accesories
lower intake
blower
fuel rail
injectors
inlet and outlet plenums
(may have forgot some stuff-email me for more specific info)

heres what to expect:

you cant use either the scs OR the mustangs ac lines-neither directly fit-look forward to getting new custom ones if you wish to retain ac.

Not true, you can use the Mustang A/C Pump/Lines, and bend them out of the way. You will need to drill/tap new holes for mounting into the SC bracket. BKB from v6power squared me away on this.

Charkly said:
the mustang radiator WILL fit with the intercooler, but b/c the radiator blocks the intercooler, expect heat soak-and i mean BAD heat soak-a sc radiator is recomended here, as well as the fan.

Either use a front mount IC, or relocate the battery to the trunk, I've seen a couple guys run the Supercoupe IC into the fender as well.

Charkly said:
the tps, iac, oil pressure sending unit, and sometimes temperature sending unit leads just dont reach-so expect to have to extend these connecters by a few inches.

mustang valve covers will work, but having never done it, im not positive-i hear you have to reverse them?

youll need to get a larger fuel pump-generally stockers just wont cut it

dont expect to drive the car without a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD tune-it WILL NOT RUN WELL-I believe the technical term is-like dawgshyt-lol

thats the best im doing on the forums, ill be happy to answer any more questions you have if you email me, mainly my experience is with the 94-98 mustangs, splitport motors may require different wiring modifications, but im unsure as to the specifics.

I basically agree with you, just note that there are DOZENS of different ways to make this work, some of them easier and more cost effective than others.

It's my understanding that the stang V-6's don't have the proper hardened parts on the bottom end to do this (ie crank, rods, pistons). Your gonna break it if you put the M-90 on it.

rather

you can use the single port heads, but the combustion chambers are smaller-designed to have much higher compression than the supercoupe engine-higher compression on cast bottom end will lead to problems-if hes changing the heads then it would be stupid NOT to use the correct ones for the application-youll also have higher combustion chamber temps-and are a lot more likely to detonate as opposed to just bumping the compression down a bit and eliminating any possible problems before they begin.

as for the ac lines-they MAY be able to be bent, but i broke 2 sets doing so-and had leaks the one time they didnt crack-its easier, less hassle, and looks better to just get some made, but no point arguing-it just depends on how far you want to go with it-you might also note that i said "neither DIRECTLY fit"-which you cant dispute, as you said they had to be bent/drilled/tapped to fit yourself

as for your suggestion to just "use a front mount intercooler" how is that disputing what ive stated? I was simply suggesting that although you can use the mustang radiator, the sc one is far superior in fitment, allowing air to the intercooler, and it flat out outcools the mustang one. granted, a fmic is a good idea, but i thought we were describing swapping sc parts into the mustang?

back on topic-i cant stress how important a good tune is-although the stock mustang bottom end is weaker, a properly tuned engine wont kill it as fast as most people think-heck-theres guys running 10s on stock blocks pushing 20psi-lol

Last edited:
Charkly said:
you can use the single port heads, but the combustion chambers are smaller-designed to have much higher compression than the supercoupe engine-higher compression on cast bottom end will lead to problems-if hes changing the heads then it would be stupid NOT to use the correct ones for the application-youll also have higher combustion chamber temps-and are a lot more likely to detonate as opposed to just bumping the compression down a bit and eliminating any possible problems before they begin.

as for the ac lines-they MAY be able to be bent, but i broke 2 sets doing so-and had leaks the one time they didnt crack-its easier, less hassle, and looks better to just get some made, but no point arguing-it just depends on how far you want to go with it-you might also note that i said "neither DIRECTLY fit"-which you cant dispute, as you said they had to be bent/drilled/tapped to fit yourself

as for your suggestion to just "use a front mount intercooler" how is that disputing what ive stated? I was simply suggesting that although you can use the mustang radiator, the sc one is far superior in fitment, allowing air to the intercooler, and it flat out outcools the mustang one. granted, a fmic is a good idea, but i thought we were describing swapping sc parts into the mustang?

back on topic-i cant stress how important a good tune is-although the stock mustang bottom end is weaker, a properly tuned engine wont kill it as fast as most people think-heck-theres guys running 10s on stock blocks pushing 20psi-lol

intercooler... whats to dispute?? I agree, I'm not sure about the SC Radiator cooling better than the Mustang one, which I thought was wider(not thicker) but you may be right.

I will strongly second your comments on the Tune, as I've heard of a lot of guys just getting a chip guessed, or doing it themself, and having the motor blow in a few hours. TUNE.

rallystang said:
You will have to custom fab one, or wait for 'Speedkills' kit on 3.8mustang.com. I'd recommend Procharger or Turbo for you.

How close is he to finishing? He was asking some questions a couple of years ago and talking about making a kit sometime in 2003?

Jeff

J57ltr said:
How close is he to finishing? He was asking some questions a couple of years ago and talking about making a kit sometime in 2003?

Jeff
He's supposed to have been 'close' for a couple years now. He says he has a prototype up and 'ready to install'. You can check the status in the 'New Age Tuning' thread on 3.8mustang.com.

Just my .02 but wouldn't it save a lot of time and hassle to try and find a wrecked 94-95 SC and transplant the complete drivetrain? After all, the SC engine is designed to be supercharged where the Mustang 3.8 isn't. May be a lil harder to begin with, but in the long run I would think it would save a lot of headaches. I would think the engine would mount up the same. The its just a matter of setting up the I/C and cooling system and changing the computer/ wiring harness. Wouldn't do it if you car has to pass emissions though. I doubt that the 94-95 drivetrain would pass the obd II inspection that is required in NC on all cars 96 and up.

Other than being really illlegal, the Sc could be remote mounted although there isn't much room. I don't know why anyone would since there are kits out there for V6 stangs which would make live a lot easier.

Jeff

Back