89 SC wont start?

ZeroRain

well i found one for my swap and it has been sitting for months. the guy said it ran when parked and now it wont. the gas is bad i know but it has fire and fuel pres. i tried it with ether and still nothing. any ideas guys

is there anyway to know for sure that its the sensor and is there anyway to get the thing to fire for min so i can hear it

Crank Sensor, thats the first thing i would look into getting. I bought a coupe back in the day with a bad CS and it was replace and fired up.

White90sc

I would do the bad gas first. I had a vehicle that sat for awhile, I started it up and pulled it into the garage, shut it off to do some work on it and it wouldn't start again. Did plugs, wires, rotor, and ether and nothing. Drained the gas and put fresh in and it started right up.

upshift light

if the upshift light, the orange one with an arrow on it, is lit up when your actually cranking the engine, then its bad. Or so im told. Mine ran one day and not the next. I have a bad crank sensor too. Common thing.

well the thing is its there when im cranking but i have spark from the coil pack its odd i think i will try the bad gas when i get it home tomorrow

if its on the sensor is bad, you will get spark but the ecu does not no where to send it, hence the name crank position sensor

so what your saying is that i can pull a random plug wire and it will spark but it wont start because thats what is happening

i disagree when my crank sensor went bad i had no spark , i bought dis and new ecu then i bought the cheaper part the crank sensor , that was when i was new and didnt know to look for upshift lite, when cam sensor was bad it may or may not have spark and it may crank hard like its out of time till you try it 2 or 3 maybe 4 times till it fires the right coil at the right time then when it started it ran ok

Last edited:
well what its doing is the lights on and everything but while its cranking im getting nothing. the boost bounces a few times and it sounds kinda like a small back fire with it im not sure what the deal is

i could be wrong and maybe is just bad gas. since you are getting spark my previous comment makes no sense after i read it again :D

i dont know. im trying everything that comes to mind. all i need to know now is what is the plug order on the dis and what are the cylinder numbers

Changed your crank sensor yet?

I wouldnt make it harder than it has to be, just start with the obvious. your upshift light is on when cranking, so change the crank sensor. Since two plugs fire on our system at one time, who knows if its the correct plug your getting spark on or not? Your crank sensor, along with the camshaft sensor knows though..... However all the information you seek about the DIS system, along with detailed troubleshooting can be found at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/DISnostart/DIS No Start.htm

Let us know what you find.

yea i know about that page and i was able to find out that the light only comes on sometimes while cranking and im getting spark from all the plugs i just wasnt able to get ahold of an led test light. i also found a cord running from behind the dash that looks like it has an ethernet plug on the end. could that be someway of laptop connection?

Back