Water Pump Woes. What looks like an oiling hole. what is it for?

Danzajax

While rebuilding my enigne, i decided to replace the Water pump. So i had a brand new one ordered and im kinda confused by an extra hole in the pump housing.

The new one appears to have some type of oiling hole on the top, just forward of the impeller housing. The old one has no such hole. It dosent appear that any water would come out the hole but im afraid of items (rust, dirt etc) falling into it. Its about a 1/4 inch in diameter and i can see the pump shaft inside. I have pictures but i forgot my Camera cable (doh). So ascii art will have to do. Should i seal up this hole? fill it with oil, grease, chocolate syrup? I could buy a 1/4 inch bolt, cover it in RTV and seal it up.

From the top looking down on the pump as if it were installed on the engne.

=
=== __
===/ /
========= |
===O=====-|
========= |
===
===
=
Original

=
=== __
===/ /
========= |
==O=o====-|
========= |
===
===
=
New Pump with strange hole.

There are notes on the sheet. This is a brand new pump, double checked to be the one that worked with the 3.8L SC.

Thanks again.

-dan

if i am not mistaken that is a weep hole for the water pump. it lets out coolant if the inner bearing/seal goes bad

Zimmer is correct. It's an early warning system for if your water pump is on the way out. DON'T FILL IT IN WITH ANYTHING!!! No worries.

Danzajax said:
From the top looking down on the pump as if it were installed on the engne.

=
=== __
===/ /
========= |
===O=====-|
========= |
===
===
=
Original

=
=== __
===/ /
========= |
==O=o====-|
========= |
===
===
=
New Pump with strange hole.
I'm impressed ;) .. Do you know how many times I've tried to make a diagram out of ascii characters? It usually turns out crummy.

I dunno if he's talking about the weep hole cause if you look at his first diagram it already has one hole. the second diagram has two holes and i think hes asking what the second one is... Me myself I have no idea what it is.

NICK

Pictures and Engine P0rn

Well, i talked to another ford guy and he said the new hole is a revision, an early warning "your pumps guna suck soon" type weep hole. Anyway..heres the pictures and some nekked enigne pictures. I have alot more im guna put into a huge detailed webpage sometime in the future.

Some pictures of the oldpump, new pump, my foobar HGs, and some engine p0rn

Thanks for the help.
-=Dan=-
Old Pump
New Pump1
New Pump2
Foobar Gaskets
Nekked Engine

Mike8675309 said:
He posted links to the pictures, look for yourself.

I did see those and the tops of our pumps are the same.

I am also concerned about the major changes to the bottom of the pump. Did you notice the new outcropping with the soft plug?

Back