A/C-cooling fan bypass

tcshum

My A/C compressor is about to fail. I am planning on unplugging the electrical connector on it.

Question: Does anyone remember where and what jumper connection I need make to fool the radiator fan on when I press the A/C button?

I don't have the $$ to do the compressor yet, but I need to keep the car running cooler.

Thanks

tcshum said:
My A/C compressor is about to fail. I am planning on unplugging the electrical connector on it.

Question: Does anyone remember where and what jumper connection I need make to fool the radiator fan on when I press the A/C button?

I don't have the $$ to do the compressor yet, but I need to keep the car running cooler.

Thanks

Just cut the #14 wire to IRCM and fans will run in high at all times when key is on. Been running fan like this for a year and no problems.

Cut the #14 wire at the IRMC (you can read the numbers off the plug) and that will cause the low speed fan to run. The same fan speed that runs automatically when the A/C is on.

There is also a high speed winding on that fan that must not be energized at the same time as the low speed fan. Otherwise the fan could be damaged due to the excess current flow creating heat in the windings.

The high speed fan can be triggered by cutting the #17 wire and then grounding the IRMC side of the wire. But it shouldn't be set to run except when the low speed fan has been turned off.

oh yeah, and having the high speed come on without the low speed fan first having that fan spinning a bit can put a big load on the motor and isn't good for it.

wire cutting

Thanks all for the quick response. I'd like to avoid cutting any IRCM wires wires for now. I know there is a way to jump a connector somewhere at the accumulator but I can't find the thread describing it.

Mike8675309 said:
Cut the #14 wire at the IRMC (you can read the numbers off the plug) and that will cause the low speed fan to run. The same fan speed that runs automatically when the A/C is on.

There is also a high speed winding on that fan that must not be energized at the same time as the low speed fan. Otherwise the fan could be damaged due to the excess current flow creating heat in the windings.

The high speed fan can be triggered by cutting the #17 wire and then grounding the IRMC side of the wire. But it shouldn't be set to run except when the low speed fan has been turned off.

oh yeah, and having the high speed come on without the low speed fan first having that fan spinning a bit can put a big load on the motor and isn't good for it.

Sorry, I meant 17. :eek:

Didn't finid any reference for that either. I guess I'm not sure what you're tryining to do.

If the A/C isn't running the fans will run as programmed by the EEC. slow speed around 208 or 210, high speed at 215 or so.

If you want to manually control when the fans run or not, the best and easiest place to do this is at the relay module.

Accumulator connector

I've heard that there is some jumper connection one can make at the accumulator. This is done by those with a dead A/C compressor to fake the EEC that the compressor is engaged thereby triggering the rad fan at low driving speeds (If the A/C clutch is also electrically disconnected).

This essentially makes the MAX A/C switch turn the rad fan on at slow speeds.

Sorry for the poor description.

Bump to the top hoping for a response

tcshum said:
I've heard that there is some jumper connection one can make at the accumulator. This is done by those with a dead A/C compressor to fake the EEC that the compressor is engaged thereby triggering the rad fan at low driving speeds (If the A/C clutch is also electrically disconnected).

This essentially makes the MAX A/C switch turn the rad fan on at slow speeds.

Sorry for the poor description.

Let me re-phrase my question:

How can I make the compressor engage if I am low on freon?

I thought I can make a jumper at the accumulator connector.

Thanks

hope you find an answer

I understand what your trying to do, you want to trick the car into thinking the A/C compressor is engaged even though its not plugged in, thereby turning on the cooling fan. I hope someone knows how to do this, its a good idea for someone who doesnt want A/C but still wants to be able to turn on their fans by pushing the A/C button. In other cars, ive seen people unplug the pressure switch by the drier, and jump those two together. Then you can run the A/C compressor right into the dirt, or unplug the compressor, and maybe turn on your fans.........

ICRM = Integrated Relay Control Module.

It contains three relays, two of which control the radiator fan. It is located behind the passenger side headlight assembly.

Sharon Silver said:
Like, what's an IRCM?

Back