Exhaust Experts

rickbtbird

Last year I purchased some used exhaust parts from some members of this site and some part on ebay.
  • Tbird88 ported and coated exhaust manifolds
  • Magnaflow resonator with down tubs and hi flow cats. All welded unit. (ebay)
  • Flow Master Force II Exhaust system with hangers and clamps.

All parts were in nice condition and seem to be direct replacement for what I had. I took all the parts to a exhaust chain and had them install all of it.
(see attached PICs)

When I picked it up it was fine for about a month and then the exhaust started to rattle when I first started up the car and then it went away. I don't drive the car in the winter so I waited until the spring and brought it back to the shop to have them look at it. They had it up on the lift for about 20 minutes and they said they made an adjustment and it was fine for a day and then it started to rattle again. Just today I finally had some time to get under the rear of the car and I discovered that one of the bends is right up against the rear end yoke and I can move the pipe with my hand and hear it rattle on the rear end yoke.

Did anybody who changed their exhaust have this problem with the Flow Master gas tank pipe for a 1990?

Last edited:
i dont recall mine ever being real close to the rear end , i would maybe loosen the clamps and adjust it further away or add a hanger to hold it further away or use a prybar and try to bend it slightly

I finally was able to get the back of the car up on the rhino ramps and get under it and take a look. Sunday's is the only day I have lately to do anything.
When I got the Flowmaster exhaust it was a fitted piece into the resonator and the Magnaflow resonator was a flanged fitting. I had them make a flange for the down pipe and they welded it on a bit crocked. The gas tank pipe is hitting in two places, one on the heat shield at the first bend by the trunk and last at the yoke of the rear end.

I don't have any exhaust tools per say, but I was able to attach another hanger on the drivers side muffler (lucky for me there's two on the FlowMaster mufflers). Using a board, my foot and some galvanized safety wire I was able to pull the entire exhaust toward the driver’s side. This now give the exhaust another 1/8 inch of clearance from both the yoke and the heat shield.

Wait until I see the manager of the muffler shop!

I did have the same set up just removed it to go bigger.
I will post a pic of mine since it does not look the same.

Back