What is this thing in the dash?

sizemoremk

What is the little blue sensor looking box behind the instrument panel sowing throgh the top of the dash?

It looks like some sort of photosensor or something?

sizemoremk said:
What is the little blue sensor looking box behind the instrument panel sowing throgh the top of the dash?

It looks like some sort of photosensor or something?

....do you have auto-lamps?

sizemoremk said:
Yeah, but that sensor is under the mirror...

...I believe the one under the mirror is the auto-dimmer for oncoming cars whereas the the dash sensor turns on the headlights under dark conditions...
z

Yep, autolamps. It gets confused on my car in the early morning and late evening.

I think it works off infra-red and with those short wavelengths, a very sunny early morning will still cause the headlights to go on. The infra-red waves aren't making it over the edge of the dash. Same kind of issue at night. Low sun = early headlights on.

Also, gloomy (but not dark) rainy overcast day will not trip the headlights, even though it's gloomy. Tells me it's not working off any visible spectrum.

X-Ray film

Mike8675309 said:
Yep, autolamps. It gets confused on my car in the early morning and late evening.

Low sun = early headlights on.

Also, gloomy (but not dark) rainy overcast day will not trip the headlights.
There is an adjustment for the amount of light it takes to turn your headlights on. If you remove the grill over the sensor, you'll see a small adjustment screw. You'll need a VERY SHORT screwdriver to get to it.

I like my headlights to come on at the first hint of dusk. Even when I adjusted the sensor to it's most sensitive position, my headlights did not come on early enought to suit me. So here's what I did to make the headlights come on sooner. I had my Mom get me some old exposed X-ray film. I cut a piece of film & put it over the sensor. That makes the sensor think it's darker outside than it actually is. Since most X-ray films have various shades of darkness, you should be able to find the correct darkeness somewhere on the film. A small dab of clear RTV will hold the X-ray film in place.

68COUGAR

Back