Blower pully swap

seawalkersee

I did a search that turned up nothing good. I want to know the best tool to use and the best way to do the swap for the blower pully. I dont want to use something that will dent it. Anyone got the stuff?

Chris

seawalkersee said:
I did a search that turned up nothing good. I want to know the best tool to use and the best way to do the swap for the blower pully. I dont want to use something that will dent it. Anyone got the stuff?

Chris

..use a 3 jaw puller.....that's what I've always used..had to put heat to the pulley the first time,just be sure not to heat the blower shaft.
Good Luck
z

Thanks guys. Anyone used the Cobra Lightining one? That may be what the threads posted above are about. I will check them after I post.

Chris

It might work, but a 3 jaw puller is much cheaper. The one used on Lightning and Cobra and GM M90 are for pressed pulleys (no keyway). After you get the nut off the SC pulley just needs to be lose as it's a slip fit with a key. Over time though some of them are pretty hard to get off.

Jeff

I am expecting the hardest in the history of SC pully changes. I need to do the upgrade and will do it as soon as I get my v-8 done. Then the SC goes under the Knife....

Chris

Pulling the Pulley

Don't use the 3 jaw puller to FORCE the pulley off!!!!!!! Lube up the front of the shaft with something like PB Blaster. Let that soak in. Then bring the puller up snug, & then give it NO MORE THAN on more turn. Then leave it alone & go have a soft drink. The tension will work on the pulley & while it's sitting. In about 20 - 30 minutes, you can give it another full turn. Continue like that until the pulley starts to slide easily.

If you try to force the pulley off with the puller, you run the risk of bending it.

68COUGAR

Do they make a quick change kit for the SC like the one for the Cobra? I saw it on horsepower tv and it looked like a nice mod if you were going to be swapping out od pulleys.

Well...

I just hit the bolt with an impact and took a rubber mallet to the pulley... Hit it off N, S, E, W...No problem. Sounds kind of barbaric but no SC parts were harmed in this process...!

89PPSC said:
I just hit the bolt with an impact and took a rubber mallet to the pulley... Hit it off N, S, E, W...No problem. Sounds kind of barbaric but no SC parts were harmed in this process...!
You must of had a real loose fit on your pulley. I won't recommend that at all.

I bent the crap out of my stock pulley. Now I've got an ESM quick change pulley and if it needs removing the hub is really thick and won't bend before pulling off the shaft.

David

Chris,

This is what you need to do and what I did to get mine off. I bought a cheap bicycle chain at Wal-Mart and used some JBWeld to weld the chain to the pulley. After that, I hooked the chain up to the Sable and pulled it right off only using a little throttle to force it off.

This method is used by many of the old timers on this site, such as, George Davenport, John Shelton, Dick Adams, Tony Serno, Kurt Kreisz, David Neibert and Kurt Sunday to name a few. Now, most of them won't admit it but their all familiar with the chain method.

I thought about that...but after I had it hanging from the lift and me and five of my big buddies jumping on the frong of the car...all I ended up with was a broken head light :eek: . Guess I will try the wal-mart method tonight.

I looked at my new one and its leaking from the snout seal so I have to change that before puttin the new pully on er anyway.

Chris

Last edited:
Nettlesd said:
Chris,

This is what you need to do and what I did to get mine off. I bought a cheap bicycle chain at Wal-Mart and used some JBWeld to weld the chain to the pulley. After that, I hooked the chain up to the Sable and pulled it right off only using a little throttle to force it off.

This method is used by many of the old timers on this site, such as, George Davenport, John Shelton, Dick Adams, Tony Serno, Kurt Kreisz, David Neibert and Kurt Sunday to name a few. Now, most of them won't admit it but their all familiar with the chain method.

Duane has done it again. ;)

seawalkersee said:
I thought about that...but after I had it hanging from the lift and me and five of my big buddies jumping on the frong of the car...all I ended up with was a broken head light :eek: . Guess I will try the wal-mart method tonight.

I looked at my new one and its leaking from the snout seal so I have to change that before puttin the new pully on er anyway.

Chris
I used the Chicago Rawhide Part Number 7968 on mine. IMO it's the best and recommended for areas of high dirt and dust. It's easy to install too after you get your pulley off. Let me know if you can't get one as I have a source. I've had mine on for a few months now and no leaks yet. ;)

Back