Spare Tires For SKINNYS???

no164ford

I read were guys say to use your stock spare tires for skinnys during drag raceing, Is that safe at 100 mph, and will the track let you do that? They also clam that it takes 0.2 seconds off your time that seems like alot, How much do skinnys help your 1/4 mile times?

Skinnys

no164ford said:
I read were guys say to use your stock spare tires for skinnys during drag raceing, Is that safe at 100 mph, and will the track let you do that? They also clam that it takes 0.2 seconds off your time that seems like alot, How much do skinnys help your 1/4 mile times?
I wouldn't run the spare TIRE that fast, but you could certainly use the rim with Moroso drag skinnys.

100 lbs. is suppose to = .100 sec. Weigh one of your stock rims & tire, then weigh an empty spare rim & add the weight of a Moroso drag skinny. The difference, times 2 should tell you how much weight your actually saving, & thusly how much quicker you'll be.

68COUGAR

no164ford said:
You cannot run the spare tire because they are only rated to 50 mph. You can get speed rated tire (I think there is a VW size that fits) or a drag tire and you will be fine.

Here are a set of 165/80/R15 tires mounted on spares.

readytorumble.jpg

Here are the 275/40/17 Drag Radials and skinnys side by side.

dr-skinny.jpg

its not the weight that makes the difference, its the rotating mass. I have read that 6lb of rotating mass is equal to 100lb's of dead weight in the car. So if you reduce some of your rotating mass, and friction, you are saving a lot.

392, your car is just ugly. Save yourself the contiuous heartache and sell it to me for a mere $50. :D When did you put that scoop on? I just noticed it and I could SWARE its new...I dont know if the 6+lbs is = to 110 dead but I think its something like that. Yes the VW tires are/were used in the past. I think the ones 392 use are special tires that are a lighter weight.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
392, your car is just ugly. Save yourself the contiuous heartache and sell it to me for a mere $50. :D When did you put that scoop on? I just noticed it and I could SWARE its new...I dont know if the 6+lbs is = to 110 dead but I think its something like that. Yes the VW tires are/were used in the past. I think the ones 392 use are special tires that are a lighter weight.

Chris

Chris, the scoop is new, and is being fibrglassed in now. I could only fit a 2 inch air filter on it as it was. I put a 1/2 inch spacer between the Kmember and body, that gave me more room, but not enough. With the scoop, and a custom made carb air box, I can now use a 4 inch K&N with there top filter. This will allow enough air flow for 6,000 rpm+ runs, plus give a direct outside air inlet.

Here are a few shots of the scoop and carb air box.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/hoodscoop.htm

When completed, it will have a smooth transition from the hood to the scoop to blend it in. My garage has a layer of fibleglass dust on everything now.

Note: My front skinnys are cheap Kumho 758 T rated tires, which are fine for short runs at the strip.

Do you know the weight difference in your wheels with the skinnies and your stars? Was it more for weight or for rolling resistance? Oh and $50.00 going once..going twice...

Chris

not only do the spare rim/skinny tires decrease road drag, rotating mass, and weight, but it creates better weight distribution as well. If you think about it, taking weight off the front is more important than the back because when you launch you're trying to lift the whole front of the car.

I got the rare aluminum spare wheels with the VW bug 165R15 tires for a total of about 180 bucks. And they look great when polished!

-Thomas

Just weighed my aluminum spares with the skinny tires at 31lbs each, and my old stock 15x6.5" fan blades with a 215/70/15 tire weigh 42lbs each. I'd assume the 16x7" 225/60/16 SC wheels I have would weigh at least 47lbs if not more.
-Thomas

392Bird said:
Chris, the scoop is new, and is being fibrglassed in now. I could only fit a 2 inch air filter on it as it was. I put a 1/2 inch spacer between the Kmember and body, that gave me more room, but not enough. With the scoop, and a custom made carb air box, I can now use a 4 inch K&N with there top filter. This will allow enough air flow for 6,000 rpm+ runs, plus give a direct outside air inlet.

Here are a few shots of the scoop and carb air box.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/hoodscoop.htm

When completed, it will have a smooth transition from the hood to the scoop to blend it in. My garage has a layer of fibleglass dust on everything now.

Note: My front skinnys are cheap Kumho 758 T rated tires, which are fine for short runs at the strip.

:eek: Dude!...Um just...wow...thats nice...What kind of carb is on that??

Yes, it is a Quickfuel 750 HP DP Drag carb. It has performed perfectly since installed.

I am a Ham Radio operator, and in Tn they give us Emergency Tags with our call signs on them to help ID us in major emergencies. We provide emergency communications when needed.

You sir are a Hero. The jobs can not always get done without you guys and dont ever forget that. You still didnt say who built your engine.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
You sir are a Hero. The jobs can not always get done without you guys and dont ever forget that. You still didnt say who built your engine.

Chris

Thanks, I have not done much, but many have. The average guy does not know much about the communications that Ham Radio operators provide during and after disasters. Locally in Tn, we were activated last in 94 during a ice storm that knocked out the radio towers for our City Police, and Sheriff Dept. We were utilized for about 3 weeks when they had there equipment repaired. The guys on the Gulf are activated a lot during hurricanes. The guys in NY were really worked hard and long after 9/11 in NYC since they lost Major equipment that was on the Trade Center Towers. Most recent Hams in Asia were very busy after the tsunami with emergency communications.

The engine started out as a Ford Racing 392 crate engine, but has seen many changes since.

fastsc92 said:
its not the weight that makes the difference, its the rotating mass. I have read that 6lb of rotating mass is equal to 100lb's of dead weight in the car. So if you reduce some of your rotating mass, and friction, you are saving a lot.

I'm not doubting you, but it sure would be nice to see some hard data on testing this. Because if this is true...you'd be talking over 30 lbs of weight saved, which would equate to over 350 lbs of dead weight. That's big. I would think that this would be much more popular to do, if that were the case. Maybe it's something that people just don't talk about though.

Yeah most people overlook the skinnies at the track because they see it as a top fueler's thing to do, not as what it can do for you.

392Bird, I'd be interested to know what your steel wheels weigh in at with the tire. I'm curious as to which is lighter. Aluminum would naturally be lighter by volume but there's more meat to the aluminum wheels.

-Thomas

I too would like to do this. Dan Sly has this setup on his car and if I remember right he said it reduced the weight by 30 lbs with steel spare wheels.

Back