PDA

View Full Version : Futira tire warning...

Coast to Coast SC
08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I wanted to share a little story of this summers events in hopes of giving you all a heads up. We bought a 2001 E-150 this spring mostly for road trips. It had 4 LT235/75r15 Futura Dakota LT tires on it. 2 were at 9/32 and 2 at 13/32. We left on a 7500 mile trip and had internal belt failures while in the road in three of the tires. When the first one failed it took a considerable chunk of tread with it and set the van sideways in AK at 80mph. I have been in touch with the car dealer, the tire installer(Prestige Auto in Inglewood), Pep boys and now onto Cooper tire (manufacturer of Futuras). Let's just say that they have each been less than eager to stand by their product. I do have a full history on the vehicle including date and mileage of tire install. Copper has not even responded yet! I feel a bit frustrated but more importantly I don't want anyone else to face a disintegrating tire at speed so if your truck/suv is wearing these...check them often or just throw the stupid things away! They were all at manuf rec pressures at the time and quite a bit under-loaded.

Anthony

p.s. The van with a 4.6 averaged 15.9 mpg in conditions ranging from I-80 at 80 mph to the Jackie Robinson pkwy at 30mph...not bad.

al35thsc
08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I wanted to share a little story of this summers events in hopes of giving you all a heads up. We bought a 2001 E-150 this spring mostly for road trips. It had 4 LT235/75r15 Futura Dakota LT tires on it. 2 were at 9/32 and 2 at 13/32. We left on a 7500 mile trip and had internal belt failures while in the road in three of the tires. When the first one failed it took a considerable chunk of tread with it and set the van sideways in AK at 80mph. I have been in touch with the car dealer, the tire installer(Prestige Auto in Inglewood), Pep boys and now onto Cooper tire (manufacturer of Futuras). Let's just say that they have each been less than eager to stand by their product. I do have a full history on the vehicle including date and mileage of tire install. Copper has not even responded yet! I feel a bit frustrated but more importantly I don't want anyone else to face a disintegrating tire at speed so if your truck/suv is wearing these...check them often or just throw the stupid things away! They were all at manuf rec pressures at the time and quite a bit under-loaded.

Anthony

p.s. The van with a 4.6 averaged 15.9 mpg in conditions ranging from I-80 at 80 mph to the Jackie Robinson pkwy at 30mph...not bad.
80 in an E series with cheapo tires....almost as crazy as 120 in a truck :D

Glad u are okay....talk to a lawyer yet?

Coast to Coast SC
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
The speed limit was 75 and we were coming down a hill....with a tailwind...keeping up with traffic....errr ummm something.....

Anthony

Al, are you offering your services as legal council?

al35thsc
08-22-2005, 05:39 PM
The speed limit was 75 and we were coming down a hill....with a tailwind...keeping up with traffic....errr ummm something.....

Anthony

Al, are you offering your services as legal council?
A man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client. A man who has me representing them in court should have his head examined. ;)