Got my motor all put together.......

CMac89

As the title says..... I got everthing put together valvetrain, intake manifold, and all....

Only thing is I don't have my transmission back yet and I was wondering whether or not I should put the motor in the car and get that all put together or should I just wait for the transmission then put the motor in?

Oh, and I was wondering what the flywheel bolts torque down to?

I dunno man, I didn't really have any problems removing or installing my tranny with the engine in...

Not sure how much time it will save though, it doesn;t really take very long to put the tank and exhasut back in, unless perhaps you pulled yours with tank and exhasut still in....

If that's the way you did it, I'd wait....

But the wrenching itself of bolting the tranny itself back up is not bad...

Don't know wbout flywheel torque, never took mine off the bird yet...

CMac89 said:
As the title says..... I got everthing put together valvetrain, intake manifold, and all....

Only thing is I don't have my transmission back yet and I was wondering whether or not I should put the motor in the car and get that all put together or should I just wait for the transmission then put the motor in?

Oh, and I was wondering what the flywheel bolts torque down to?

73-87 NM is the torque spec for Flywheel to crank

Put the engine in. You can't put the motor and tranny in together on a 5spd (well not easily). It's easy to do the tranny afterward.

XR7 Dave said:
Put the engine in. You can't put the motor and tranny in together on a 5spd (well not easily). It's easy to do the tranny afterward.

Like Dave said the angle you would have to possition the engine/tranny would make it nearly impossible to do without banging the end of the tranny on something in the engine bay. Plus it would take all of three guys to get it done.

Shane

XR7 Dave said:

Made that mistake once, f-that. :p

Put the trans in after.......trust me. ;)

Trans in second

I did a 3.8 and trans swap on one of my 93LX's. Engine was the same size as SC once it was necked.. .Taking the engine and trans out together was easy. Putting them back in while hooked together was not so easy. The angle is bad and my firewall took a beating. Next time I do it the trans goes up after the motor is in.

So is an AOD also difficult to fit in while still bolted up?

Looks like it would be pretty easy to me...

not quite easy for me

At least it wasnt quite easy for backyard mechanic me that is. I'm sure there is someone here who thinks its simple.

sizemoremk said:
So is an AOD also difficult to fit in while still bolted up?

Looks like it would be pretty easy to me...

Like I said above it will take a few people to get it in without hittin' stuff in the egine bay.

Shane

Well both came out pretty easy in the 93...

I had the car on jackstands already, and didn't even have a leveler... Maybe I just got lucky with the position of the chain, I thought it was way too easy to remove... I did take a picture and count the links in the chain so I could have the same angle next time!

So hopefully it willl go back in just as easily...

Back