new guy with a Super Coupe powered Porsche

heck914

Hey fellas,
I browse on this forum occasionally, although its been a long time. Thought you might like to see a 3.8 SC motor in something other than an T-bird or Cougar. I stuck one in my 74 Porsche 914.
Pics:
http://public.fotki.com/heck91426/

A lot of guys throw the chevy small block in, but i really wanted to stay with a Ford. Picked up a 90 -bird that was smashed. Stock porsche 5 speed transaxle. modified porsche flywheel, to bolt to SC crank, and accept a 9" clutch. Kept all the electronics, had to bypass a ton of stuff that wasnt used. All stock motor, except the K+N filter. still has Cats on the exhaust. Due to a tight fit, I mixed and matched some pulleys, and now have 1 belt that runs everthing (water pump, alt, and blower) 8 - 9 lbs boost , a little slippage over 5000 rpm.

the power and torque of this motor in this car is awesome for the street. always start off in 2nd gear. weighs approx 2500 lbs. i put about 15,000 miles on it since my dad and I completed it 4 yrs ago.
the motor has close to 100K now, no real problems, but i'm sure it could use a rebuild at some point. But i'll probably sell it before then...

Thanks
Mark

That's pretty cool. What's it mounted to in the rear, did you pull over any custom rear suspension or did you use stock porche stuff?

weight to power ratio has to be better than with the 350.

OK what did you do in the 1/4 mile? That thing looks Mad Crazy, i,ve driven those Porches before and they handle great, how's it handle with that heavy motor in it.... At least its in the middle.
Nice looking job....
Tony

only went to the track once

Thanks for the kind words. All stock porsche rear suspension, brakes etc. the rear springs are stiffer than stock.

I am not sure what was worse, physically fitting the engine it, or figuring out the wiring. they both were rough.

The tires are pretty skinny , 185/65/15., so it handles well, but im sure it would be better with different tires.

Took it to the track once and only made 1 run. went easy. no powershifting and started in 2nd gear. went 14.1 at 100 mph.
Wanted to step it up for the next run and broke one of the 30 yr old rear axle CV joints. LOL never made it back to the track after that., im sure it would run in the 13.8 range.

Looks awesome...

The car looks nice... Are there anymore out there like that? I bet it's fun to drive. I'd have to stiffen that suspension up before I took it for a spin... Thanks for showing us.

That is really neat! I always wondered how the motor would perform in a light car. 185/65/15 tires. lmao! that must have been interesting. That is very impressive, a true HotRod.

He probably thought it would get a few clicks from a few casual observers, but he posted the link here and whoom... everyone piled on the photo server and brought it down.. ;)

I really dig it...Never ceases to amaze me what people put these motors in...Airplanes, old hotrods, porches, rangers, mustangs, dune buggies....I am sure the list will go on and I am sure I missed a few...heh...

VERY NICE JOB...Thanks for sharing.

BRad

Looks great! What would like to know is how you got all the pulleys to line up and use just one belt. Time to throw some Konis on and go autocrossing with that beast.

Shane

Heck914 - Very cool! I'm not alone, there are other twisted people like me.

I am about to fit an 93 SC engine & AOD into a replica of a Ferrari Spyder Calf (the Ferris Beuller car) so I am very interested in the bracketry, pulleys, drive belt(s) etc., used/made to eliminate the A/C compressor, power steering pump and what ever else you didn't use and the modifications to the wiring.

Doug

Thats sweeter then a peeter on a picnic. I have seen some crazy stuff before, but never anyone who is as crazy as I am about Fords. With the exception of the LS1, I dont really think that GM has an upper hand in power (that is of course with apples to apples). The GN is pretty tough but lets take a look at THEIR aftermarket world and compare it to ours. All over, I would like to see some more pics. You said you got a 14, at 100. Yeah...Im thinking a tad better then 13.8s. N I C E....

Chris

I thought I'd bring this one back to life...

It was super dope when I first saw it... the pics are still up and it's still super dope after looking at it again some years later!

DC-

Back