Motor Mounts??

Back n black bird

Ok guys about a year ago i had new oil filled motor mounts installed, now my question is could they already be gone? I tried driving the car with it in drive and my foot on the brake and the other on the gas and the motor seemed to raise quite a bit, now how much should it raise with good motor mounts? I race it quite a bit at a local 1/4 mile, is that why they could be toast already? Anyhelp is very appreciated, i guess if they are i will go with solid ones.

Toasted.

Hell yeah, they're gone. Especially if you're engine is making more than "stock" torque ratings.

They were barely adequate in a stock setup. Just too damn weak. Ford must have been really worried about the vibes from the engine after they removed the balance shaft that they decided to specify those wimp mounts.

I had mine replaced on my car when I had my clutch done last august. Anyway, by october they were shot again. And I BABY my car......

Yea i think so, that would explain my crappy idle sometimes. Hmm solid mounts i guess, now how long will those last? Also my motor right now lifts about 1"-1.5" before it starts spinning the tires. I also have 3:73 gears, could that also be putting more strain on the mounts?

If you have exhaust plus 10% pulley or equivalent power, you should look into a torque strap. A thread previously went over this.

Click Me for Thread

The solid ones will tear as bad as liquid. Benefit of Solid is that when they fail they are less likely to crush the p/s line or rub a hole through your oil pan.

I'm not putting a strap on now, but when I do exhaust and 10% pulley, plus MAF and TB next year, I will.

yup im guessing it is a bitch to install those straps and i just wasted my fifth set of solids.lol. i found a quick, easy and inexpensive fix if u want to call it that.

get a standard rachet tie down strap from like wall mart. the type you use for strapping motorcycles in trucks. loop it around the upper ic tube and hook one side into the square opening in the frame and hook the other side into the loop on the other hook. rachet it down. you want it so that it keeps the left side of the motor from lifting but not squishing it down. so just click till tight.

also keep an eye if it gets wet the webbing will stretch. so if u power wash under hood take it off.

good luck
chris

It is only a bitch if you want it done fast. Otherwise it's easy.

Pull the battery
Pull the radiator fan
Pull the radiator
Pull the intercooler top tube
Pull the alternator
Pull the intercooler bottom tube
Pull the intercooler
Remove the Coil Pack
Remove the P/S pump pulley
Remove the Drivers Side accessory Drive mount (big alum piece)

Now you have unfettered access to the drivers side mount and manifold.

It seems like a lot, but they are all big pieces and easy to put back on. Do it all in a weekend.

With the drivers side accesory drive mount on, it's hard to do anything.

See, lots of room:

drivermount.jpg

Last edited:
I would not reccomend using the upper IC tube to anchor a torque strap to. I would try to use something more solid on the head or the block. I have seen SC tops crack from being in light front enders and the system as a whole is not really meant to carry any load. George Davenport had a really nice torque strap on his. It might be more work and money, but if you're going through the trouble anyways you might as well do it right once and not risk breaking other parts.

Back