Looking for T-Bird Owners with rear tire rub

Rich Thomson

I am looking for two people who are interested in testing a rear bump stop. I am looking for car owners who have wide wheels and tires who's tires hit the wheel well. Tire height cannot be over 26.6" or stock tire height. Please e-mail me if you able to install the bump stops and test them ASAP. richt@mn12performance.com

bump-stop-pic3.JPG

I find my self scraping quite often during my daily trips to work. I have 17x8s in the rear with 275/40/zr17s. Its probably one of the sounds you would just rather not hear with your car.

jOe

What all is involved in installing them? I'm running 275/40/18's on the back and my driver side rubs a fair amount if I don't keep the speed down.

And btw....my wheel's 8" wide too.

Installation is very easy and takes about 5min each side. I have the two cars testing the bump stop and will let you know if more are needed.

Rich

I put a bump stop there about 5 years ago when I bagged the rear of my bird, so it wouldn't hit the ground. It buckled the rear arms and dimpled the sub frame where it hit. I had to bend the vertical sides of the upper arm back out.
-
-(ignore the read arrow- used for another reason originally)
you can see the remains in this old pic - the 1/8" thick plate I welded to the arm with the nut that I threaded the poly stop into. I thought, at the time, the plate would spread out the load. :eek:

rear-bag.jpg

Last edited:
You guys act like its a big size, haha. Its nice for traction though. If you can't see a decnet pic let me know, here.

Picture206.jpg

but im definitly willing to try it cause my tires look like crap on the outside cuase they keep getting gouged into.

jOe

Just wondering if/when you decide to make these. How well will they work with lowered cars? Right now I'm dropped about 3½". That only contributes to my problem.

bagged89 said:
I put a bump stop there about 5 years ago when I bagged the rear of my bird, so it wouldn't hit the ground. It buckled the rear arms and dimpled the sub frame where it hit. I had to bend the vertical sides of the upper arm back out.
-
-(ignore the read arrow- used for another reason originally)
you can see the remains in this old pic - the 1/8" thick plate I welded to the arm with the nut that I threaded the poly stop into. I thought, at the time, the plate would spread out the load. :eek:

rear-bag.jpg

Point Taken. The weight of the car can bend the upper control arm. The use of the bump stop is limited too. If the rear spring coil bind does not stop the travel the upper control arm will hit the frame. Add oversized tires and the tire is the bumpstop. Only other way to stop travel is with coil spring spacers. Coil spring spacers are very much like spring rubbers. Further testing is ongoing.

Rich

Just curious, is either of the two test cars lowered? It seems to me that a lowered car would be more at risk to use the bumpstop. I'm not suggesting that I want to test them...I wouldn't want to risk bending my control arms on my daily driver...I was just wondering about the lowering factor.

Back