Brake Upgrade ?

SuperCoupe007

Hey guys/gals, I have a 90 SC 5-speed. I was thinking about upgrading my front brakes w/ some 93 - 98 Mark VIII brakes. I think I have to replace the both spindles, but not sure what else I need to replace. Would these brakes fit under the factory wheels?? Also, I was considering purchasing the "relocation bracket" to install cobra rotors but keep the stock SC caliper.
Any help and all ideas are greatly welcomed...
Thanks...
:)

You'll need the following parts from a Mark 8:

front spindles
front calipers
front caliper brackets
front rotors
misc bolts to hold it all together

That setup will fit inside a 16" or larger wheel. If you're looking for the whole deal, send me an email at rodsv6cougar@cs.com with your zip code for a shipped price.

-Rod

I don't think you'll find much improvement using the Mark 8 brakes; all you get is another single piston caliper with slightly larger rotors (11.57" dia versus the stock 10.86"). I had them on my '93 for a couple of years but then changed over to the PBR twin piston calipers off the 99/00 Mustang GT and, retained the stock rotors size. I also gave up on the expensive rotors like KVR, drilled or dimpled and, simply replace mine when they warp with $25 ones from Advanced Auto. Been happy ever since. If you look at the end of the Publication tab on this site you'll see an old article I wrote about the Mark 8 install, just incase you still decide to go that way. And yes in either case you'll still need the later model spindles.

Sorry, it's actually called the "SC Literature" tab - go to the end of the page and it's under "How to Articles".

racecougar said:
You'll need the following parts from a Mark 8:

front spindles
front calipers
front caliper brackets
front rotors
misc bolts to hold it all together

That setup will fit inside a 16" or larger wheel. If you're looking for the whole deal, send me an email at rodsv6cougar@cs.com with your zip code for a shipped price.

-Rod

You will also need the hub/bearing assemblies. I believe they changed in '91, so for everything to fit nice, those should also be replaced. I've also read that the ABS sensors (stock '90) aren't long enough to reach. I'm not sure about this, as I don't have my conversion finished yet, although I do have a '92. In addition to that, the M8 sensors don't connect the same. Again, I haven't confirmed this yet with my installation, it's just what I heard.

I went will Cobra brakes 13'' up front,& 12'' in the rear.
They are just great.High priced but the best brake system
I have ever had or seen on a car.

The draw backs i have found are.I don't have a selection
of wheels to swap on the front if I would want to run skinnies
for drag racing.I have to use 17'' wheels or larger front & back.
So this cuts down wheel and tire selection. front & back.

Just my thoughts if you happin to think about larger brakes.

Thanks Randy

Randy,
Weren't you the one who had issues with the ABS sensors? What did you do to resolve that issue? Insight would help everyone out.

Randy - 13" rotors are obviously the best way to go - but what do you do when you are on the road and get a flat tire?

007_SuperCoupe said:
Randy,
Weren't you the one who had issues with the ABS sensors? What did you do to resolve that issue? Insight would help everyone out.

I had no issues with ABS.I think I had problems with removing them to
reuse.But I bought my front spindles from Thomas A. And these spindles
included ABS senors.But then I found out the plug-ins on Mach VIII
ABS sensors were different from the plug-ins on my 90 SC bird.
So I spliced the wires.Worked out find so far.

I forgot which the Mach VIII or the SCBird. But one ABS wire was
two wire,and the other was coaxal wire.But the two different style
wires spliced together just fine.

Discbrakes R US .Said that they where bolt-on.
And all parts were included.Well they bolted on.But The E-BRAKE cable
would hook up but was in such a bind that they would not work proper.
So I had to make my own E-Brake cables.I made the new E-Brake
cables from two stainless steel braided clutch cables from a Harley Davidson.
I fitted the new cables up.But have not taken the time to do final install
adjustments.

One thing that I really like about these brakes were,And you may want to
try.I had my brake rotors powder coated around the centerbearing cap
up to where the brake pad ware is.I had them coated in chrome
powder coat.So now the brakes look nice though the spokes of my wheel.
No rust ,dirt,etc.

Last edited:
You'll be very happy with the upgrade, even to the M8 rotors. I wouldn't give up so quickly. Do what I've done...Being on a very strict budget, I purchased a piece at a time that I needed. Now I have everything, I just need the time and a little more man power to get it done.

The actual installation is not all that bad. It is time consuming, but not very difficult.

Back