All Motor Mounts ARE NOT The Same

Toms-SC

Motor%20Mounts.jpg

These motor mounts are from two different site sponsers. The left motor mount has a complete thick walled metal shield holding the rubber at the center. I think this is to prevent ripping. The right motor mount is all rubber from the base up. The motor mount on the left is also shorter, stock height. :)

The more you know.

Motor Mount Heights

Toms-SC said:
The right motor mount is all rubber from the base up. The motor mount on the left is also shorter, stock height. :)
What is the difference in height? The one on the right looks like my new (mn12performance) motor mounts. I think the extra height will make changing the oil filter easier.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Slight, but I guess thats whats the difference between hitting the top of the hood with a raised top or not

actually if you lower your engine your headers (If you have some) may not fit. One of the vendors sells stock height while the other doesnt...So just make sure you have factory height mounts and all will be good

More Incorrectly

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
actually if you lower your engine your headers (If you have some) may not fit.
I ripped my OEM motor mounts in half, & my SCCoA headers still fit fine. No interferrence. Candidly though, my Big Dawg never fit correctly, so it may fit more incorrectly now. Who could tell?

68COUGAR

Scott Long said:
Which mounts came from which vendor?

Is one design better than the other in terms of strength and durability?

I'd rather not post the name of the vendors, give me a PM. I think the left side one will be less prone to ripping due to the shield around it.

Toms-SC said:
I'd rather not post the name of the vendors, give me a PM. I think the left side one will be less prone to ripping due to the shield around it.
Let me guess, tall ones come from Victor at SpinningWheels SC and short ones come from Bill and SuperCoupe Performance.

What possible drawback could there be to posting FACTS about products that you buy from vendors??

XR7 Dave said:
Let me guess, tall ones come from Victor at SpinningWheels SC and short ones come from Bill and SuperCoupe Performance.

What possible drawback could there be to posting FACTS about products that you buy from vendors??

Banning/post deletion/****?

XR7 Dave said:

Easy, I don't like stepping on toes. :) Especially to vendors who support this site. :) But what the hell right?

Right side = MN12 Performance
Left side = SuperCoupe Performance

Better?

Toms-SC said:
Easy, I don't like stepping on toes. :) Especially to vendors who support this site. :) But what the hell right?

Right side = MN12 Performance
Left side = SuperCoupe Performance

Better?

Pablo94SC said:
Banning/post deletion/****?

RUUUUUUUUUN!

Heaven forbid we step on anyone's toes. :cool: Actually, in case anyone noticed, this site isn't run by the vendors and one of the main functions of this BBS is for the free exchange of information about our cars. Vendors be what/whom they may.

For what it's worth neither of those appear to be stock height mounts. I know Rich's are taller as are Victor's. I thought Bill's were stock height but I'm starting to wonder now.

For most applications all of them work just fine. I have the tall ones in my car and with proper use of the stock travel limiting window, hitting the hood should never be an issue.

FWIW I have seen a number of ripped solid mounts. The part that rips is the bottom where the 2 10mm bolts attach. It's just glued there and will rip out pretty easily. Again, properly setting up the stock limiter is the answer to that problem. At least if your solid mounts tear you won't hit the oil pan.

Stock mounts are 3.0" when new and uncompressed. They are actually 2.75" when loaded. Solid mounts will not compress much when loaded so they will be taller than stock.

I've seen some solid mounts that are 2.80" tall but I'm not sure where they came from.

My 87 cougar used to use these same mounts..The factory liquid ones would last longer then the solid rubber. The solids would rip exactly where Dave said. The solids were originally created as a cheap fix for the millions of Taxi cabs out there..My cheap fix was using the solid rubber mounts with a tie down strap..Never ripped one again

The factory peices would actually seperate in the middle and become two halves

Back