Redoing the exh tips on my car.

ricardoa1

Redoing the exh tips on my car. pics

Well when I decide to install the new Borla mufflers on my car, I will be redoing the tips on my car. Going from a 3" to a 4" . I have half cut outs on my bumper to accommodate the tips I have on now.
I have had no problems with the tips burning the bumper. They are double walled. But now I am looking for 4" that are double walled and short enough I can only find it in the Borla brand. The problem is that they are 60bux a piece :eek:
Well I found some magnaflows for $24 bux a piece with the right dimensions, problem is that they are single walled. Question is will I be burning my bumper if I go with the single wall tips?

George D. prolly knows the answer to the question since he has cut outs going tru the bumper. But any suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
IMO, 4" is huge. I'd stay with the 3". I only have 2.5" on mine and I think thats plenty big. I know its all a matter of personal opinion, but when people go large, around 3" or 4" i think its kinda ricey. However, I like the current pic, stay with that style.

ricardoa1 said:
Here is a pic. No replies :confused:
I did not go through the rear bumper cover like george did. I have cut out as well. I could not find tips I liked so I made mine. They are single wall and sit very close to the sides of the cut out. So far I have had no problems with the cover being affected by heat. I am not a big fan of huge tips so I tried to keep my simple and unobtrusve.

Ke

Attachments

• Sc rear.jpg
    Sc rear.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 163
kenewagner said:
I did not go through the rear bumper cover like george did. I have cut out as well. I could not find tips I liked so I made mine. They are single wall and sit very close to the sides of the cut out. So far I have had no problems with the cover being affected by heat. I am not a big fan of huge tips so I tried to keep my simple and unobtrusve.

Ke

Wow, that looks sharp! Nice and tasteful!

Could we get a closer look???

4" exhaust tips are not only unneccesary, they look like @$$ IMO. Besides looking bad, they can actually hurt performance (a small amount, but why add rice at the expence of performance?). Way oversized exhaust tips have the same effect as gutted cats. They cause turbulance in the exhaust which in turn increases back pressure. That turbulance and increased back pressure is why a car with gutted cats or huge tips pops and flutters from the exhaust when you let off the accelerator.

Stick with the 3" you have or go smaller to match up to the size pipes you have.

huh?

XR7inWI said:
oversized exhaust tips have the same effect as gutted cats.
Not exactly. With the gutted cat, the gases expand, which slows them down. Then the gas must speed up again to enter the smaller dia. pipe. With the exhaust tips the gases do not have speed up again at all.
68COUGAR

XR7inWI said:
4" exhaust tips are not only unneccesary, they look like @$$ IMO. Besides looking bad, they can actually hurt performance (a small amount, but why add rice at the expence of performance?). Way oversized exhaust tips have the same effect as gutted cats. They cause turbulance in the exhaust which in turn increases back pressure. That turbulance and increased back pressure is why a car with gutted cats or huge tips pops and flutters from the exhaust when you let off the accelerator.

Stick with the 3" you have or go smaller to match up to the size pipes you have.

^^ That is the most absurd thing I ever heard. Maybe mithbusters wants to get a handle on that one. :rolleyes:

I appreciate the suggestion guys, although I knew you guys would say something along the lines of rice when I said 4in. Im not doing round tips but oblong or oval this time around the 4in is the width, although round has crossed my mind. The Cobra I owned had 4" tips and I never heard the rice comment ever.

Thanks Ken for the single wall comment, that gives me peace of mind.

Looks like the magnaflow is only 2 1/4 IN OD
So this is the one I will have to get after all its 2 1/2 IN OD thats the size of my pipes anyways
Exhaust Tip, 2.5 in. Inlet, 4.25 in. x 3.5 in. Outlet, 5 in. Length,

Attachments

• b0_1_b.jpg
    b0_1_b.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have had 3.5" x 18" long stainless tips for a while now, So you guys can see i posted some pics, I love'm, but I wouldn't go bigger, there huge, now on my Red SC, i stole the exhaust from my blue one, going to get a new exhaust for my blue one, also get to see my new addition in the back, my 1st bike.

Back