Optima Battery: Red, Yellow or Blue?

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
I'm planning on purchasing an Optima battery in the near future. What are the advantages or differences between each color top? I don't ever plan on adding a bunch of audio equipment and my car sometime sits for long periods of time. But I also may start my car numerous times while I'm creeping up the staging lanes (starting, shutting off and coasting) until I get close.

I tried searching, but didn't wade through all of the results.

Thanks

Kurt K said:
I'm planning on purchasing an Optima battery in the near future. What are the advantages or differences between each color top? I don't ever plan on adding a bunch of audio equipment and my car sometime sits for long periods of time. But I also may start my car numerous times while I'm creeping up the staging lanes (starting, shutting off and coasting) until I get close.

I tried searching, but didn't wade through all of the results.

Thanks
Kurt,
I have the red top battery. That is perfect for automotive use. I think the yellow is marine and the blue is for hi audio and lights. Plus the yellow and blue ones are more expensive and do not give you that much added value for general automotive use. I could have the yellow and blue mixed, but I think you get my point.
I do not have any problems starting my car after sitting for awhile. My car sat this past winter for over 3 months before I started.
Later
Ken

For the most part...

Ken was right for the most part. The YELLOW is normally used for high audio/electronics and the BLUE is a deep cycle marine battery... The red should be more than enough to reliably start your car in all conditions and it also supports a good amount of sounds too...

i got the red one. weird thing is....my fog lamps never worked before i changed the battery. once i put in the red top, they started working normally. go figure haha, its a really good batt

Kurt, I have to recommend the yellow top dual purpose. Yes it costs more, however, it will suit your needs much better. When I drove my car daily, I had no issues with the red top. Once it started sitting 3-4 weeks at a time, I would have to get the battery replaced every couple of months if I didnt give it a periodic trickle charge. My brother often lets his SC sit for 2 months at a time without running it and his yellow top hasn't let him down for the 3+ years he has had it.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
Kurt, I have to recommend the yellow top dual purpose. Yes it costs more, however, it will suit your needs much better. When I drove my car daily, I had no issues with the red top. Once it started sitting 3-4 weeks at a time, I would have to get the battery replaced every couple of months if I didnt give it a periodic trickle charge. My brother often lets his SC sit for 2 months at a time without running it and his yellow top hasn't let him down for the 3+ years he has had it.

Paul
THATS ODD. IVE LET MY SC SIT 3 WESTERN NY WINTERS IN A ROW (OCT - APR) WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS RESTARTING IN THE SPRING. ALL IVE DONE WAS DISCONNECT IT SO THAT THE CLOCK, ETC DIDNT DRAIN IT AND NO ALARM WOULD GO OFF. OH WELL, MAYBE IM JUST LUCKY.

acb92sc said:
THATS ODD. IVE LET MY SC SIT 3 WESTERN NY WINTERS IN A ROW (OCT - APR) WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS RESTARTING IN THE SPRING. ALL IVE DONE WAS DISCONNECT IT SO THAT THE CLOCK, ETC DIDNT DRAIN IT AND NO ALARM WOULD GO OFF. OH WELL, MAYBE IM JUST LUCKY.
The key to your success is that you dicsonnected the battery. I did not disconnect mine. The Optima batteries in general have a fantastic shelf life.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:

Paul

I was actually leaning toward the yellow top, but I wanted to hear what everyone else's experiences were.

I'm getting a red one just so it will match my power collar. This bright yellow one I got from AZ looks like crap.

David

Attachments

• dayton.jpg
    dayton.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 118
BTW Kurt, I bought my red top at Pep Boys and have returned them at various locations across a few states. Not once did they give me a hint of trouble or hesitation about the warranty. They also restart the warranty instead of pro rating it like most places do.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
BTW Kurt, I bought my red top at Pep Boys and have returned them at various locations across a few states. Not once did they give me a hint of trouble or hesitation about the warranty. They also restart the warranty instead of pro rating it like most places do.

Paul

Walmart does this on their $50 3 year free replacement batteries, the only Issue I've ever had with one is letting it sit for a year...

How much are these optima bateries running????

I have a red top in my 94. Ever since I discovered what was draining my battery a few years ago it has been trouble free even after leaving it sit a lot.

Back