Gatorback

Roadhawg

I was wondering if you could use a Gatorback Serpentine belt, instead of a 8 groove Serpentine belt and be able to replace the original accessories with an A/C Compressor, Alternator, or Power Steering pump with a 6 groove pulley.

Without underdrives, should work fine

Roadhawg said:
I was wondering if you could use a Gatorback Serpentine belt, instead of a 8 groove Serpentine belt and be able to replace the original accessories with an A/C Compressor, Alternator, or Power Steering pump with a 6 groove pulley.

I had a Goodyear Gatorback on my '90 SC. With the underdrive pulleys that came with the car, the belt would touch itself between the tensioner near the alternator and the water pump pulley when the engine was off. When it the engine was running, there was about a 1 to 2 mm clearance at the same spot.

(This is all past tense since the engine is out again - broken valve spring - dropped a valve).

I'll be putting slightly shorter non-Gatorback belt on the car when the engine is back in to avoid the clearance problem at those two pulleys.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 4.6 LX Sport

I have never had any problem running Gatorback belts with underdrive pulleys for more than 8 years. Sounds like you had a pulley issue.

As for running a 8 rib gatorback belt on 6 rib pulleys (I think that was the original question), I've heard of people cutting 2 ribs off brand new belts to do this. I don't think just because it's a Gatorback belt, it will work with 6 rib pulleys.

Back