Need to rebuild engine ..

Ddubb

Hello everybody, I'm new to the Supercoupe site, but very familuar with the V8 Tbirds. I picked up a 1994 Thunderbird SC a few months back from somebody who didnt treat it well. Apparently, he hit something on the front end and it leaked out a whole lot of oil and he drove off to the oil changers to get more oil. I looked it over, gave him a few hundred dollars, put a couple quarts of oil in it, and drove it down the street to park it in my backyard where Ive been looking it over ever since.
Its been getting worse and worse as Ive been diagnosing all of the parts that need to be replaced. At first it had a knock which got a little louder. Now it wont stay running for more than a few seconds unless I give it gas, and the engine is making a sound that reminds me of a Kazoo !!
Im going to start pulling the engine apart in the next few months, so I can hopefully bring it back to life, instead of parting it out and leaving one less SC on the road.
I figure that the knock is probably the Rod bearings. Im just not sure about the Kazoo sound, any guesses ??
Ive also picked up some engine parts from the local junkyards that I am hoping will work, what I was wondering is ..
Will a pre-94 Crankshaft pulley work on the 94/95 ? The one I have was bent in the crash. Also, is the harmonic balancer different ? I may replace it with an aftermarket unit, but mine doesnt seem to wobble at all.
The oil pan is cracked, from either the crash or the broken motor mount. I have a spare Oil pan from a 1991 V6 N/A Tbird which looks the same, Will this fit on my 94 SC ??
Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated. Im not planning on any major power adders, I just want a stock rebuild to restore the SC to its original condition.
Thanks
- Dan

I know the harmonic balancer is different between 89-93 and 94/95. I'd wait and do that last since XR7 Dave is currently working on a cheaper alternative to the BHJ Balancer. I'm not sure about the other parts.

I know the feeling about not wanting to part your SC. My dad's 94 SC has been down for 2 years. The previous owner of it didn't take good care of it either. The carpet had lots of stains, front wheel bearings had to be replaced, rear brakes had to be replaced, front end was pretty much gone - left fender, hood, bumper cover, all front lights, and header panel had to be replaced along with the dash. When the airbag's blew, it ripped up the passenger side of the dash. We had it back together, got it repainted, then the harmonic balancer went. Took the shop 4-5 months to find it. And meanwhile, I think they had been trying to crank it because they weren't sure what the deal was and filled the crank case with oil. Got it back and within a month, rod bearing went out. It's been parked now for 2 years and is getting close to being done on the overhaul. My dad is getting very anxious to get it back.

Good luck with your rebuild. And sorry for the book :D

-Melon

Back