i am in need of help again......

19TbirdSC91

so now a days, my car is missing very very horribly bad, and im not exactly a mechanic, but the car will start just fine....when its ice cold...but when it starts, it idles incredibly rough, like the car rocks and the motor shakes back and forth on the mounts and such, and then 89% of the time, when you put it in gear, it jus completely dies out, and then usually wont want to start again, and then when i do get it to stay running, i have to push the brake with my left foot and slightly touch the gas with my right, or it wont idle, and then while accelerating, it misses really bad...and sputters, and you can feel/hear the motor just trying to give up, and like i said, it jus straight up runs like .^.^.^. and im pretty confused, so if someone could please help me out, it would be great, thanks.

~Sean

Sounds like....

Vacuum leaks. But now might be a good time to invest in a cheap code reader (from WalMart) and see if anything else is out-of-whack... Probably something basic unless there is something that led up to this condition that wasn't mentioned.

Id try Vac Leaks

I just got done putting my engine back together after replacing the heads, gaskets, and water pump and it ran the same way. 1st things fitst. DOUBLE CHECK ALL THE PLUG WIRES. Do this 4, or 5 times. Have someone else check them. Its fairly easy to do and can save you an assload of time. im not 100% certian but im fairly sure the coilpack goes

Rear of car
1 2 3
5 6 4
front of car

Ive seen people mess up the front because its not in order. Most likely theres a sticker on the top of your coil pack that can guide you. If not. let me know and i can double check my book.

2nd. Get it running and stick a penny between the idle stop and the throttle. This will have it do a high idle and hopetlly keep it lumping. Get out a can of something combustable. Ive used brake clean with good success. And start listening for a whistleing or hissing. Spray it if you think you hear a whistleing. If you come accross a spot that has a vac leak itll cause the engine to jump up and rev. Sometimes this is hard to do though cause the computer will think the car is dieing and attempt to surge the engine on its own. If it surges..try it again. Good places for vac leaks are the egr connection (passenger side rear valve cover), theres also a little hose that connects to that pipe that i think runs the vents inside the car. Check around the super charger collar nut. Thats where mine was leaking like crazy.

I guess if still no dice, you can take out all the plugs and check them for knicks, scratches, gouges, over/under sized gaps. Also check the mass air flow sensor for garbage. I had an explorer that got a fuzzie in there somehow once. Be careful and blast some compressed air through it backwards (lightly). although the car should still idle with that problem.

Just trying to help out.
-dan

thanks...

thanks! ill be sure to check into that, i mean, i had that in mind, and we did just do all of the top end gaskets, so will definetly be sure to look more into that, i drove it for 45 min with out a PCV valve, that was fun, but thats in now...and not much has changed, so im still confused, but i'll be sure to get back to you when i know more about the problem, thanks again!

~Sean

Danzajax said:
I just got done putting my engine back together after replacing the heads, gaskets, and water pump and it ran the same way. 1st things fitst. DOUBLE CHECK ALL THE PLUG WIRES. Do this 4, or 5 times. Have someone else check them. Its fairly easy to do and can save you an assload of time. im not 100% certian but im fairly sure the coilpack goes

Rear of car
1 2 3
5 6 4
front of car

Ive seen people mess up the front because its not in order. Most likely theres a sticker on the top of your coil pack that can guide you. If not. let me know and i can double check my book.

2nd. Get it running and stick a penny between the idle stop and the throttle. This will have it do a high idle and hopetlly keep it lumping. Get out a can of something combustable. Ive used brake clean with good success. And start listening for a whistleing or hissing. Spray it if you think you hear a whistleing. If you come accross a spot that has a vac leak itll cause the engine to jump up and rev. Sometimes this is hard to do though cause the computer will think the car is dieing and attempt to surge the engine on its own. If it surges..try it again. Good places for vac leaks are the egr connection (passenger side rear valve cover), theres also a little hose that connects to that pipe that i think runs the vents inside the car. Check around the super charger collar nut. Thats where mine was leaking like crazy.

I guess if still no dice, you can take out all the plugs and check them for knicks, scratches, gouges, over/under sized gaps. Also check the mass air flow sensor for garbage. I had an explorer that got a fuzzie in there somehow once. Be careful and blast some compressed air through it backwards (lightly). although the car should still idle with that problem.

Just trying to help out.
-dan

new developments

ok, so the other night, we went and looked at the plug wires, found out that #2 wasnt even hooked up...in fact it was sitting next to the spark plug, then there were two vacum hoses that werent plugged in, so once we fixed that, it stopped sputtering, and now it just wont idle...going to check the cam position sensor...will update when i know more...

~Sean

Back