Intake Gasket...What sealer to use?

Dahoopd

I am replacing my intake gasket tomorrow because I obviously did something wrong during the headgaskets. I got a vacuum leak within 4000 miles. What sealer is best on the intake gasket ends? Blue #613 Silicone gasket maker, Grey water pump & thermostat housing RTV silicone, Ultra Copper. All of the silicones are permatex. Or is there a better item? Thanks for the help once again guys. Dont want to have to tear it apart again for this.

Yeah, well since know one knows I just used Copper RTV. I figured since one of Dave N's old post stated he put it on the threads of the bolts, it couldnt hurt putting it on the end gaskets. I assuming now the whole reason for the leak was the improper way of torqing it. I read in an old post that its best to let it sit for a minute between each torque step.

I would go ahead and use the copper orange gasket sealer. :)

One thing that I have found when using sealers for best reasults.

Apply the sealer.Then snug the bolt down,but not to tight
or all the way.Wipe off excess, Let the parts with applied
sealer set for a few minutes or even an hour or so.

Then go back and torque or tighten the bolts the rest of the way.

This lets the sealer set up and form a rubber gasket.When
you tightin it down it will form a better snuger fitting gasket
to part surface.

You may still be able to go and re-torque your manifold bolts
an couple lbs to make a better seat.

Randy

Last edited:
I didn't respond to this post because my car doesn't use stock intake manifold gaskets, but I suppose it would work just as well with either the Ford or Felpro gaskets.

I use Permatex copper spray on both sides of the intake to head gaskets and allow to dry until tacky (about 10 min). Felpro gaskets are better than the ones from Ford.

For the front and rear gaskets, I use Permatex black high temp RTV, but the orange Randy mentioned will also work. The rubber Ford gaskets are better than the Felpro cork ones. I always add an extra blob on the corners where the two gaskets meet to get a good seal. Just before installing the gaskets I smear a light coat (finger width) of Permatex T-Stat & Water Pump sealer around the water jackets on both the heads and the intake manifold. This stuff will dry/cure even if there is coolant present and never leaks.

If your in a pinch and don't have gaskets for the front and rear, just use a 3/8" bead of the black RTV.

Torque the manifold down in three steps using the pattern shown in the repair manual. 1st to 10 ft lbs, then to 15 ft lbs, then allow to sit for 10 minutes and do them all again at 15 ft lbs. Only a few of the bolts actually require thread sealer, but my heads are so heavily ported I just put sealer on every bolt so I don't have to worry.

So far using this method, I've never had an intake manifold leak and I've had it off and on at least six times, including yesterday while installing a new cam.

David

David I was not saying to use the orange.
I was making a joke after the fact.
But I am sure it will work just fine for him.

Your way is the route to take.That was a good explanation.

RANDY

Back