abs problem

blacksupercoupe

the other day i went to start my car and it seemed as if it was dead when i went to turn it over. After I pulled the keys from the ignition my alarm started going crazy, but it sounded like it was about to die. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it a little later and the car started right up, but the abs light came on. I remember reading about an abs relay before, could this be what it is? I'm not quite sure and appreciate any help thanks.

yea relay is on passenger side firewall , i never had trouble with the relay , one time it was the brushes in the pump motor and one time it was the acumulator big round thing

Sounds like...

You might have a problem with the ignition switch. They wear out and cause all kinds of goofy things to happen with alarms, dash warning lights, gauges, etc. Pretty much all power to the car's systems flows through the ignition switch. If the ABS relay was sticking, the pump would either run constantly (relay stuck "closed"), or the pump wouldn't run at all (relay open) and the ABS & BRAKE dash warning indicators would both be on solid. You can get a new ignition switch (not the key & lock tumbler, but the rectangular box that the wiring harness connects to) at any parts house.

this may be a stupid question, but is the ignition switch the same as the multifunction switch because i had that replaced not too long ago.

alright i took the column apart to get to the ignition switch. But I have another question about the screws that hold the switch. What tool do i need to remove these screws, i noticed theyre different and wondering what tool makes it the easiest thanks again guys

If it looks like a star pattern similar to this *, then that is a torx head. It's like a phillips head on steroids. You can get a set of torx bits with a magnetic screwdriver handle at Walmart.

Back