Auto into Manual?

Robbie

Has anyone ever done this yet? turn at auto into a 5 speed? If so how hard was it? Is there and opening in the floor for the clutch pedel?

5sp. Conversion

It is a B!^CH! I did it on my 93. There are dimples in the Firewall for the master Cyl. To bolt up. There is also a dimple to show you where to bore the hole for the Actuator rod and Master Cyl. to come through. The only two feesible ways to make it happen are 1. Completely remove the dash to make your holes from the inside. or 2. Remove the brake master cyl. and Vacuum Booster and do it from the Doghouse. This is also much easier when the engine was out of the car. Then comes the list of things you'll need.

1. Trans.
2. Pedal assy.
3. 5sp Computer
4. 5sp trans wiring harness
5. 5sp console

Good luck to you if you decide to undertake this project. Let me know if you have any further ?s

I was informed that the manual SC engine uses a different Camshaft than the Automatic, can anybody confirm if this is true or not ?
- Dan

Ddubb said:
I was informed that the manual SC engine uses a different Camshaft than the Automatic, can anybody confirm if this is true or not ?
- Dan

I've heard the 89 manual did. But if they do, it really shouldn't make enough of a difference. Nothing that's going to cause any problems anyway.

I am wondering the same thing, I am about to acquire a complete 92 5 speed, the floor and the body are pretty much gone and the trans and motor are good. Is there any problems with the AOD and the ECU, I dont think there should be since its not electrically controlled? the big question is, is it worth all the trouble to switch, even when you got a bad ~~~ automatic?

mn12sc35th said:
I've heard the 89 manual did. But if they do, it really shouldn't make enough of a difference. Nothing that's going to cause any problems anyway.
I think you are refering to some of the early 89's that came with a duracast crank and not the forged crank that is in all later model SC's.

Ddubb said:
- Dan
Yes auto's and manual cars have differen cams.

DOn't auto's all have 3.27 gears where manuals are 2.72? I'd imagine a 5 speed swap into a 3.27 geared car would be a big upgrade.. Where if you swapped an auto in to your 5 speed car it would be a turd with 2.72 gears

harbor freight sells a 90 degree angle drill attachment for like $20 that will work perfect for drilling the holes from the inside of the firewall.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I was referring to cams not cranks :p I know all about the Duracrap cranks :)

The difference in the engine (cam, ECU, most anything else...) won't matter for a transmission swap. The only actual engine piece that's being changed is the flexplate to a flywheel anyway. If anything, with the 3.27 rear gears, you're better off with a manual ;)

Jacob_Royer said:
DOn't auto's all have 3.27 gears where manuals are 2.72? I'd imagine a 5 speed swap into a 3.27 geared car would be a big upgrade.. Where if you swapped an auto in to your 5 speed car it would be a turd with 2.72 gears

my auto came with 3.08 :(

yea i believe the cams are different although i cant tell much diff from my 89 5 speed to 90 auto running wise

Back