A bit too hot, I think

90coug

So where exactly is the temp gauge supposed to read at for normal operating temp? The temperature will get to the M and kick back down below R (after fan finished running). When I first acquired the car I don't remember it running this hot, It never over heats or even gets close to the red area but I don’t want to stress the engine out anymore than I already have. New original temperature thermostat, new coolant switch and sensor plus replaced the radiator with one that was out of a Thunderbird. Only thing left to do is maybe try another thermostat or new water pump. I did run some crappy water through it not too long ago, is it possible that the water could have deteriorated some stuff, heater core?

Shouldn't be a problem...

The temp guage on my SC has read between the "R" & "M" since I bought it new back in 1992. My (low-speed) fan kicks on when it hits the upper edge of the "M" and kicks off when it falls back to the lower edge of the "R". I used to worry about it, but after hooking up an "adjustable cool-fan switch", putting in a lower temp thermostat, and using "water-wetter", the gauge only seemed to drop to between the "O" and "R". I think the reading is more related to the gauge in the dash than the coolant temp. Some SC's tend to read lower than others... The only thing that I have found that seems to make a significant difference is when I replace the original air deflector (that fell off) with a larger one from a Pontiac GrandAm. That seemed to drop the temp gauge while driving at highway speeds (the fan doesn't operate above 45mph).
Basically, don't spend a bunch of money chasing a temp problem that isn't really a problem. If the water pump is bad, you will know. It will dump coolant out the weep hole. Keep the stock temp thermostat (unless you have a fan controller setup), flush the coolant system yearly, use the proper mix (50/50) of coolant and distilled water, and check the hoses regularly for swelling or leaks. Also, be sure that the radiator cap has the correct pressure spec. If you are really paranoid about the temp, get it checked with an accurate tester.

Get a buddy

with an infrared thermometer (if you don't have one) and read the actual underhood temps of the components in question, that'll tell you exactly what you're dealing with...if you know the rating on your thermostat this will tell you if it's opening at the right temp....also that used radiator you installed could be a problem, should've got a new one....the fact that you've noticed a general change in the guage reading (very perceptive) tells you something isn't right and that the engine is running at a higher temp or the guage itself has changed and it indicating a false reading, either way you need to know.
just my 2 cents

bill

Thanks for the input, makes me feel a little better hearing that someone bought the car new and it's reading in the same area. I do want a new radiator but the budget just wouldn't carry it.

Thanks guys

yeah my 89 XR7 was doin the same thing but my radiator had a rather long crack in it.. I bought a new one at advance auto parts (Cheapest i could find around here. under $200) and now my car stays between "C" and "N" like when i first got it....

Last edited:
Back