Resealing Fog Lights ?

SuperCoupe007

Hey guys,

I need to reseal the fog lights. I have to remove the clear lens and clean it up, but don't know what to use to reseal it ?? what is the best thing to use to seal them ?? preferrably something clear that won't make it messy..
Thanks....
:)

SuperCoupe007 said:
Hey guys,

I need to reseal the fog lights. I have to remove the clear lens and clean it up, but don't know what to use to reseal it ?? what is the best thing to use to seal them ?? preferrably something clear that won't make it messy..
Thanks....

I used clear window/door caulking when I did mine. Sealed up nicely and never did leak.

I did the same thing using clear sealant. Just be careful with the reflective coating inside though - mine came off just washing the surface with Fantastic. So I went to PepBoys and got a chrome paint spray - looks pretty good but the lighting color is now slightly different.

92strokedbird:::::
Both fog lights are in great physical condition. they just have a small leak where moisture gets in and builds up... I figure its cheaper just to seal them...

007_SuperCoupe:::::
This sounds like a good option. Where did you purchase this "clear window/caulking" ???

Joisey Jim::::::
Thanks for the tip. yeah i plan on leaving the inside alone, might just clean it with a wet cotton towel. I might just polish the lense to make it shine....

SuperCoupe007 said:
92strokedbird:::::
Both fog lights are in great physical condition. they just have a small leak where moisture gets in and builds up... I figure its cheaper just to seal them...

007_SuperCoupe:::::
This sounds like a good option. Where did you purchase this "clear window/caulking" ???

Joisey Jim::::::
Thanks for the tip. yeah i plan on leaving the inside alone, might just clean it with a wet cotton towel. I might just polish the lense to make it shine....

You can get the caulking at Walmart, or any hardware/home improvement store. I actually popped the lenses off the fog lamps because the chrome was totally gone...painted the inside, and re-installed the lenses (after wet sanding them to 1500 grit...).

007_SuperCoupe::::::::
Oooh OK.. sounds like I am going to take a trip to the local wal-mart to get some "clear window caulking".. Well one of the corners of the fog lights is leaking, so moisture is going in and building up. I blew out a fog light buld and didn't know why, but when i looked at the fog light housing, i noticed the build up of water in there.. it was about half way full... so i decided to remove both fog lamps and I am going to reseal both of them....
Thanks....

Well, I just removed both clear lenses. One of them is half black half chrome (or reflective) and the other one is 90% clean reflective on the inside part... Looks like i am going to have to paint the other one so that if reflects the light when turned on...

Any tips on what to do, and what NOT to do would be great.
Thanks....
:) :)

92strokedbird:::::::
I thought about a piece of aluminum foil, but considering how easily crumples show on it, I don't think I could get it in the smoothly enough to where there would'nt be any cracks on it.

the Eastwood Company sells a paint that is called "almost chrome", never used it, but Eastwood sells some pretty cool stuff. I used Shoe Goo to reseal the foglights on my car. It goes on like silicone, and dries quickly with a crystal clear finish. Bought it at Walmart.

speedfreak:::::::
Did you get both of these at walmart ??? :) :) Well i guess either way i am going to go and look for these...
Thanks...

i used clear window caulking, but on a side note, my lenses were yellowed and scratched, so i traced the original lense onto a piece of plexiglass and cut it out and now i have crystal clear lenses for almost two years and counting.

speedfreak said:
the Eastwood Company sells a paint that is called "almost chrome", never used it, but Eastwood sells some pretty cool stuff. I used Shoe Goo to reseal the foglights on my car. It goes on like silicone, and dries quickly with a crystal clear finish. Bought it at Walmart.

I got the Shoe Goo from Walmart

I saw the "almost chrome" in an Eastwood Catalog or they have a website
http://eastwoodco.com/

go to the site then type in almost chrome in the search box.......I just looked at it.....cheaper than I thought too.

Last edited:
acb92sc::::::::::::
That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pics of how ur clear lense fog lights look ??? How do they look when u turn them on at night ??? What did you use for a beam pattern, if anything ?????

speedfreak:::::::::
Nice... now I know what to look for when I go to wal-mart....

Well I went to some parts shops and Wal-Mart, and had no luck finding the Eastwood paint.... they had some other paint, but it didn't say chrome it said metallic, :confused:

Back