trans rebuild

tjsc87

well second gear has gone and its time for a rebuild does anyone have any suggestions on a rebuild kit that will make the tranny stronger... o yea its a 5 speed so yea any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks.

I belive there is a company called "Southern Gear" or something like that, and they are located on the east coast. If you use the "search" option and put either "M5R2 rebuild kit" or "Southern Gear" you should come back with a contact number and more detailed info... Hope this helps...
Good Luck...
:)

thanks for the info i have looked that up i was just wondering if they are recomended because i wanna rebuild the trans so that it will take a beating cause i am planning on racing and what not so i was wondering if there is a place that sells rebuild kits that have strong internals. thanks

there are no 'stronger rebuild kits' out there from the M5R2 tranny. What it came with is what it has, you just have the choice between brass or fiber blockers. In fact some parts are already extint or very hard to find. If you want to race and have plenty of parts to do rebuilds, I would suggest a swap.

which are the better ones firer or brass and what i am planning on doing is getting a used tranny swaping it with the one in my car and then rebuilding the one thats in my car and then swappin it bakck in so i dont have so much down time on my car.

i put 2 brass ones in about 170 k miles ago i forget i think it was first and second but could have been second and third , but my second grinds ever since i would get fiber and mine had lots of endplay i shimmed it up a lot

If your going to race it put in the fiber ones. The brass will crunch with speed shifting and wearout prematurely. Been there, done that. The internals hold up fine if you don't crunch the gears. Worn blockers will wearout the other parts they mate with if you crunch them. I race mine practically every weekend and rebuild them every 2 years. 3rd gear blocker goes first followed by 2nd gear blocker. The kit has everything you need, generally except the 2 end nuts on the ends of the 2 shafts. Make sure they know it's for an SC because the truck version has one of the nuts a different size.

Mike Puckett said:
If your going to race it put in the fiber ones. The brass will crunch with speed shifting and wearout prematurely. Been there, done that. The internals hold up fine if you don't crunch the gears. Worn blockers will wearout the other parts they mate with if you crunch them. I race mine practically every weekend and rebuild them every 2 years. 3rd gear blocker goes first followed by 2nd gear blocker. The kit has everything you need, generally except the 2 end nuts on the ends of the 2 shafts. Make sure they know it's for an SC because the truck version has one of the nuts a different size.

you are talking about the kit from southern gear correct. and thanks for all the info guys sorry im askin so many questions and second guessing everything but i wanna do it right the first time and not have to do it again, so i am going with the fibre syncros. what do you mean by blockers. and does the kit come with the gears.

If you've never rebuilt a transmission you might not want to do this by yourself. They aren't especially hard to rebuild but it needs some experience.

wasnt planning on doin it myself i was thinkin about sending it to a local tranny shop by me that was recomended by somonme i know

Back