Longer Rods, how long?

Mike8675309

I'm looking at picking up some 351 mods for use with diamond pistons.

Stock SC rods are 5.915" long.
Stock 351w rods are 5.955" long.

So I'm considering going with the available 6.125" long rods. this consideration comes from some comments I've seen around as well as this thread from a while back.
http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23811&highlight=deck+height

Has anyone else ever considered this, or do people in general think this is a bad idea?

I'm going to use these rods and pistons in my sc block I want to build to support over 500hp at the crank for a good 500hp at the rear wheels. They will likely be Eagle H beam rods.

The concern with this is the need to move the pin up in the piston possibly allowing for excess flopping of the piston within the bore compared with the stock position. I'm planning on getting a moly coating on the skirts and gold coating on the crowns and useing total seal rings.

I guess I'm just looking for more info on the longer rod and if anyone knows of a possible issue that would make it foolish to use them.

Note I plan on getting a new cam ground from a fresh blank that will need to take into account the slight change in TDC and BDC duration with the longer rod. I'm also planing on a 0 deck clearance.

Back