Automatic sc's definately need gears.

twoblownfords

I ran my auto 93 sc last night and what a pig this car is out of the hole. I ran 14.7 at 92.4 mph with a 2.0 sixty foot time. The car has new ford engine a bkb performance ported blower 10percent pulley exhaust, and the rest is stock. I know a tb and intake would help but this thing needs 373's and possibly a convertor. Not sure what times a stock one runs but i thougt it was ok. I think the stock autos went 15.8 at least no. I also tuned my car since im a sct dealer. I know this combo now i have can go 13.9 to 14.0 with dr's gears and convertor.

Go with an AOD wide ratio kit, 3.73's, and a converter (stall rpm?)- bet that will wake it up out of the hole.

3.73's are the best thing you can do. When the motor is stock they really don't need a converter. Of course then DR's are the next thing because it will be spinning the tires all the time.

I disagree I personally have no use for the stock 12 inch converters int hese cars. I think the marauder converters are absolutely perfect for most stock or mildly modified applications. The 12 inch converters are heavy and weak, sorry no love for the grenading converters here.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
I disagree I personally have no use for the stock 12 inch converters in these cars. I think the marauder converters are absolutely perfect for most stock or mildly modified applications. The 12 inch converters are heavy and weak, sorry no love for the grenading converters here.
Alan
Are those a direct bolt in for an 89-93 AOD?

My comments are based on having put 3.73's in a couple relatively stockish AOD's for people (225-240rwhp). With that combination you have to be careful taking off or you'll spin the tires at every light. This is due to the amazing low end torque of a stockish SC. I don't think you'd want a wide-ratio gearset with 3.73's as it would make traction even more difficult.

Now as for putting in a converter with stock gears, I just don't know. I'm not an AOD guy so my experience is NIL. Some people like to use stock stall speed non locking converters but the one I drove I didn't like. Obviously my opinion on converters is not much help.

:)

Last edited:
2.0 short times in thunderbirds are good. You could run mid 13s with them. Good Luck getting 1.9 short times i dont think your car will run low 12s and high 11s....

the1nonlyb said:
2.0 short times in thunderbirds are good. You could run mid 13s with them. Good Luck getting 1.9 short times i dont think your car will run low 12s and high 11s....

My SC was running 1.9 short times on street tires back when it ran 13.8 @ 95. On slicks running 12.30 @ 110 my 60 ft was 1.721...with nitrous running high to mid 11s it's usually right around 1.6 something. Getting under 2.0 60ft times are easy.

3.73s, 10"-10.5" 2400-2500 stall non locking converter, Lentech VB w/elec OD delete and some sticky tires will make a real big differince.

David

gears

Yea i agree the convertor may slip the motor past where the good torque is for launching to get this heavy beast moving. Gears and dr's i think low 14's maybe high 13.9 this combo can go. I dont think the car ran bad for what is done to it. I may even do a quick little race tune right now i have it at 11.5 af ratio on the street. I may go 11.9-12.0 with a little sunoco gt plus fuel. I tell you this car feels like high 13's from a roll but it cant get off the line. I like driving this thing better then my saleen twin screwed powered gt that runs 11.9.

Sorry I was thinking 94/95 and it clearly said 93 in there...Early for me I guess
The SC aod converters are about as good as you're gonna get for an aod from the factory. The limitations of them are high in my opinion there just aren't any better stock converters for them. I do however hate direct drive so I'd suggest deleteing the direct drive and it helps alot if the fins of the converter are furnace brazed, but any converter using a stock front cover has serious limitations because it had to have room for the direct drive system which makes the front cover about as thick as a piece of thin cardboard. There just aren't any cheap solutions for good converters for these cars. The best solution is to install a 31 spline input shaft and use a good c6 converter( a stock one will not work it needs a bushing to center the shaft). That project alone with labor will likely set you back over $1000
Alan

Yea i agree the convertor may slip the motor past where the good torque is for launching to get this heavy beast moving.

That won't be a problem if you stay down to 2400-2500 rpm stall. The 9.5" converter I've got stalls around 2700-2800 and believe me there is no shortage of bottom end torque.

When the converter is slipping it's making more torque than the motor is putting out, so with a 2400-2500 stall a mildly modded SC like yours will produce more bottom end torque (at the wheels) than with the stock converter.

David

All od my auto SC's over the year shave run 15.4 at sea level.

Personally what you need now is drag radials...When you see what you can do with stock gears and drag radials....Then step up to 3.73's.

I;d obnly reccomend a converted once you change your powerband to a higher RPM through a cam.

gears

Yea but i think drag radials will be a mother to try and launch with having stock gears it prob fall on its face. Gears are next. I dont think i hit d until a little bit past the 8th mile mark. All in all its nice to woop a few 5.0 mustang guys with this tank.

Dam my typing skills haha.

You can brake your SC up to 1,8oo or so RPM with a stock converter which should bring you very close to your powerband. You should need a drag radial even with stock gears at that point..And the car shouldnt bog.

Me I went with 4.10's

XR7 Dave said:
3.73's are the best thing you can do. When the motor is stock they really don't need a converter. Of course then DR's are the next thing because it will be spinning the tires all the time.
Quick Question XR7Dave & Dirtyd0g -
Until I find a SuperCoupe, I'd like my '93 5.0 to go quicker, but my door code shows that I have a 3.08 rearend and with whatever model of stock Automatic I have, I can NEVER even bark the tires. At 70mph I am only turning 1800rpm. What would you recommend? Lower rear gears? Some kind of stall speed? Thanks!
-Tom

ThunderTurkey said:
Quick Question XR7Dave & Dirtyd0g -
Until I find a SuperCoupe, I'd like my '93 5.0 to go quicker, but my door code shows that I have a 3.08 rearend and with whatever model of stock Automatic I have, I can NEVER even bark the tires. At 70mph I am only turning 1800rpm. What would you recommend? Lower rear gears? Some kind of stall speed? Thanks!
-Tom

gears are a good place to start even if you do a converter you will want to do gears in the future anyway

Even though you didnt ask me...

410's are perfect for a stock 5.0 HO with a 26 inch tire..Or even a tad taller with an aod.

Back