Need Ya'lls Opinion

90XR7Cougar5spd

I got my motor out as some of you already know. I took it out because i had a rod knocking. I took off the heads, and oil pan and cylinder walls look pretty good, although last time it was running it was running really rich. Anywho, Should i just put new Main and rod bearings in it or rebuild the whole thing. Im kinda working on a budget and want your opinion. I have not looked at the crank yet so i dont know if i will have to have it turned or buy a new one.

Also, there was JB weld on the bottom of the oil pan, it never leaked on me the last time i drove it 3 years ago, should i go ahead and buy a new oil pan or just put the old one back on it.

Thanks

Derek

of it spun a bearing i would get a crank too or regrind yours and remember the rear main i believe is 10 thousanths smaller than the other mains and replace the rod that spun too cause they stretch , and dont mix any rod caps up or youll be sorry , if it has over 150k miles i would prob get rings too

Last edited:
Well i took the bearing cap off, and the bearing was gone, not there, i didnt drop it inside off the motor, i checked. Is that normal, this is the first motor ive actually torn into on the inside. I looked at one other rod bearing, and it looked fine. I had planed on atleast replacing the rings, but what about getting it rehoned????

i wouldnt worry about honing i would worry about getting crank cut and new con rod for the one that was gone

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
Well i took the bearing cap off, and the bearing was gone, not there, i didnt drop it inside off the motor, i checked. Is that normal, this is the first motor ive actually torn into on the inside. I looked at one other rod bearing, and it looked fine. I had planed on atleast replacing the rings, but what about getting it rehoned????
What your saying does not make sence to me. Is the bearing still attached to the crank and it has spun its self to where it is the same size as the other half of the journal? I have seen that happen. The bearing HAS to be in there somewhere. How bad is the crank? Some pics would be nice. As far as the rest of your rebuild goes, I will almost ALWAYS go the full monte. Can you still see crosshatched areas of the cyls? IF so you can be okay with the way it is. If there is a ridge over .010 at the top of the walls you should at least look into the cost of a total rebuild.

Chris

Heli-arc it

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
Also, there was JB weld on the bottom of the oil pan should i go ahead and buy a new oil pan or just put the old one back on it.
I"d either leave it along, or have the pan heli-arc'ed. No need to buy anew pan. I had an oil pan fixed like that before. Alot cheaper than a new pan.

68COUGAR

seawalkersee said:
What your saying does not make sence to me. Is the bearing still attached to the crank and it has spun its self to where it is the same size as the other half of the journal? I have seen that happen. The bearing HAS to be in there somewhere. How bad is the crank? Some pics would be nice. As far as the rest of your rebuild goes, I will almost ALWAYS go the full monte. Can you still see crosshatched areas of the cyls? IF so you can be okay with the way it is. If there is a ridge over .010 at the top of the walls you should at least look into the cost of a total rebuild.

Chris

Well, to answer your question about the bearing, no, its almost like it disentegrated, its gone, no where to be found. I just went out and measured the Journals of the bad one and a good one, the bad one was 2.296" but when you went around it, it fluctuated, anywhere from 2.295, to 2.305. The good one measured 2.310 with no fluctuations, if this is needs to be explained better let me know. You can see the cross hatching in the cylinder walls, they look good. I am pretty much planning on buying a new crank. But the thing thats confusing the hell outta me its that the bearing is NO where to be found, its beyond me. Very confusing. I will try and get pictures tom. i gotta go get my buddy digi cam.

The "missing" bearing insert is probalby welded to the crank and is doing an excellent job of camouflage. Happens all the time.

Do yourself a favor and get a reman shortblock at the least. Seriously.

Consider that the rod for the cylinder with the spun bearing will need to be resized at the minimum, or perhaps replaced. In either event, the rod must be removed from the piston and a lot of the time a piston does not survive the pin being pressed out of the rod.

Further, the metal from that spun rod bearing went through everything. That means oil pump, cam bearings, will likely be scored. The pump MAY be reusable but the cam bearings are almost certainly damaged to the point of needing replacement.

While you can do a minimal job and have the engine run afterwards, IME doing this tends to result in a short-lived repair.

Parker Dean said:
The "missing" bearing insert is probalby welded to the crank and is doing an excellent job of camouflage. Happens all the time.

Well see thats exactly what i though But the sides of the journal on both the good and bad appear to be the same height. I dunno but now that you mention the whole shortblock reman, that dosent sound like a half bad idea. I am kinda learly of it though b/c im afraid i wont get the SC block or the SC heads and all that other good stuff..........

Short block is internals and chain no heads. Long block is crank up. Can come with valve covers and oil pan. I still think that the bearing is there. Pick at it and see if it comes off. PD and I are talking about the same thing.

Chris

See Dan Newman for better prices on Ford parts....

http://www.fordpartshq.com/

This is from an email I got from him a few months ago...

E9SZ-6V009-BRM 3.8L S/C Short Block
Retail $1486.72

Cost $1095.00
Core Charge $ 500.00

I think he said $175 to ship, to North Alabama anyways...

Update.....

I found out where the "missing" rod bearing went to, it was all in the bottom of the oil pan, i talked to a guy at work who has rebuilt several engines and he said hes seen it a few times. The block is currently at the machine shop getting dipped, completely cleaned out, and new cam bearings installed. I got a new crank and a new connecting rod/piston. I am installing new rings, bearings, and all that other good stuff, damn car has me broke, but i sat in it tonight to look for something, and i fell in love all over again. Cant wait to get my baby running, it looks so pitiful sitting in my drive way. Someone you may already know this, but to those who dont, update!

No im not going to have my car done for the shootout, after i get done with the motor, im going to attempt to rebuild the tranny, i should have my block back by the end of the week so i can start assembling it.... YAY!!!! Cant wait to have the powling kitty back on the street, hey thats a catchy name, prowlin kitty.........

Derek

Back