MPIII, Cam swap and Snow alky injection pics

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I've been doing a few mods to my 91 lately and thought some of you might want to see some of the pictures. Thanks to Dave Dalke for providing the cam and Alky injection kit and even greater thanks to Chris Wise and Kurt Kreisz for helping me install them.

Everything is installed and appears to be working, but I'm taking it real easy until it's properly tuned. Even using my old Diablo Apten chip that hasn't been reburned for about two years, the car runs great. Dave Dalke will be in town tomorrow dropping off a car and while he's here will be tuning my car a few others, and hopefully I'll have some good dyno rusults to share when we are done.

David

Attachments

• IM002848.JPG
    IM002848.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IM002856.JPG
    IM002856.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 448
  • IM002857.JPG
    IM002857.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 856
  • IM002859.JPG
    IM002859.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IM002862.JPG
    IM002862.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 587
More pictures

Attachments

• IM002864.JPG
    IM002864.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IM002892.JPG
    IM002892.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 466
  • IM002895.JPG
    IM002895.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IM002896.JPG
    IM002896.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IM002897.JPG
    IM002897.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 450
More pictures.

David

Attachments

• IM002900.JPG
    IM002900.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IM002903.JPG
    IM002903.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 548
  • IM002904.JPG
    IM002904.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IM002907.JPG
    IM002907.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IM002910.JPG
    IM002910.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 568
Geeezz Dave, will ya stop showing off your chit already and get it to the track and the dyno. :D Your like a constant tease.

:rolleyes: :D

Thanks for sharing pics of your progess. So how did the cam swap with the motor in go for you? Did you have plenty of room to get it in and out?
Seeing your timing chain reminds me of when I removed my front cover and was cleaning off the old gasket. I accidentally dropped the razor blade into the oil pan....I ended up fishing it out through one of the small holes in the center of the blade with some small guage wire. Fun stuff!
Good luck with the tuning, and better luck at the shootout with the improved mods. I'd say that with DD tuning, you should be running pretty reliably when all is said and done.
Tom

Have you had any issues with that aftermarket fuel pressure regulator mounted there? I've heard that many people have quality issues with such regulators.

Looks very nice.

Yes Dave looks awesome man. I cant wait to see what kind of numbers ya pull with all that stuff. Did ya do any work on the bottom end any? Very sweet car!!!

Looking forward to seeing your numbers Dave. How much boost are you making with the MPIII and what pulley/jackshaft? Coated rotors?

I think Dave's smile will look like that MP III inlet, once everything is working 100%. :D

cheers
Ed N.

I was lookin at that pic of the lower. Is it mildly worked? It appears to be welded in the front. But the opening looks stock. I wish you lived closer...*sigh*

Chris

Super XR7 said:
I am not sure that's Daves car, as I did not see one Bud light in any of those pictures!

actually, there looks to be a can of bud light in the fifth picture in the first post :D

Super XR7 said:
I am not sure that's Daves car, as I did not see one Bud light in any of those pictures!
Agreed. I can say that when I was helping him, there were a couple beers consumed.

David Neibert said:
attachment.php
That looks familiar :)

Geeezz Dave, will ya stop showing off your chit already and get it to the track and the dyno.

Skip, I already went to the dyno (it sucked)...that's why I'm making all the changes. Since installing the 240/240 cam last year it won't pull over 335 rwhp, no matter what I did. Should be much better now, but won't know until getting it dyno tuned today or tommorow.

what did you use to seal the grommet to the reservoir

My favorite...Permatex Copper RTV. It's a bulkhead fitting that you have to special order with the kit and has a nut on the inside of the tank to hold it in place. The RTV was just to prevent leaks...Snow actually reccomends another type of sealer, but I knew this stuff would work.

So how did the cam swap with the motor in go for you? Did you have plenty of room to get it in and out?

It went fine...after removing the radiator and MP FMIC there was plenty of room to remove it without messing with the AC condensor. The only thing that was unexpected was finding out that I don't actually own a puller big enough to remove the BHJ. Well that and I ended up buying new lifters because a few of the ones I had were questionable and had small wear grooves on the rollers and I didn't want to mess up the surface of the new cam lobes.

Have you had any issues with that aftermarket fuel pressure regulator mounted there? I've heard that many people have quality issues with such regulators.

I haven't had any issues with this particular one, because I just installed it a few weeks ago when doing the MPIII swap. I went to the dyno and did a baseline pull just prior to making the swap and found that I was running dangerously lean. Since I had no way of re-burning the Apten Diablo chip that's in the car, I was forced to install an Adjustable regulator to richen the A/F ratio by raising the pressure.

I don't like adjustables and I've had problems with them sticking and leaking in the past. I ordered the latest all billet Kirban, but it didn't arrive in time for the install, so Kurt K. let me use one of the older style Kirbans from his vast parts stash.

Did ya do any work on the bottom end any?

Yes, it's got pretty much everything you could possibly upgrade on the motor done to it, except a main stud girdle.

How much boost are you making with the MPIII and what pulley/jackshaft? Coated rotors?

I think it's around 18-19 pounds over driving it with a 10% ESM 10 rib jackshaft pulley and a 2.75 dia. 10 rib supercharger pulley. Since I peg the stock gauge as soon as I hit the throttle, I have to use the fuel pressure gauge to determine boost levels. According to my calcs it's about 24% overdrive. The rotors are early style bare. I considered installing a set of GTP coated rotors, but decided to wait and see how it does with the bare ones.

what about your MPII

It's already sold.

I was lookin at that pic of the lower. Is it mildly worked? It appears to be welded in the front. But the opening looks stock.

Heavily reworked..The intake runners are all about 1/8" taller and wider than stock and required extensions to be welded to the upper portion of the intake manifold and also requires using hand made intake manifold gaskets (pain in the a$$). The heads and the manifold are a matched set. This was something I regret doing and it didn't make the heads flow much better.

If your talking about the opening for the intake manifold adaptor, yes it's also been ported to match the ESM ported and diffused adaptor.

That looks familiar

Thanks for letting me have it, that helped alot. Now with that full billet replacement I traded, your parts stash has been updated :D

neibert you wuss, that car needs a real blower on it.

I'm just trying to let you catch up. Besides that, If I went straight to the AR I wouldn't have anything to upgrade next year. You know I have to tear the motor apart at least one or twice a year, just for practice.

David

Last edited:
Back