89 acting up

New2SC

I purchased my 89 2 years ago from an older gentleman. It was garage kept and had 68,000 miles. It was running smooth as silk and every option operated as if new. I was really enjoying how nice this ford ran considering it was 14 yrs. old. The vehicle now has 72,000 miles and has developed all sorts of querks (reason for low mileage) which seem to vanish when ever a mechanic is present. Premium sound system with factory cd player plays intermittently (cd stopped working), tach stays at zero and then suddenly works when you hit a bump, but the worst is when in the middle of accelarating the vehicle starts breaking down (like its choking) and shakes violently. I'm in Northeast Pa. and every mechanic who sees the car, basically refuses to work on it. I really like the vehicle (I'm not a mechanic, nor do I have the time to tinker - 80 mile commute to work in NYC) and would like to know if anyone has experienced these same symptons and is there a good SC mechanic in the area. :confused:

im thinking its probably clogged cat converters . but may be fuel pump or pressure regulator

Learn how to pull OBD I codes from the EEC.
Use the Search for DIS, cam sensor, and Harmonic Balancer.
For the CD player search for paul protos.

Back