Switching ABS to Conventional... PART II

Fastcat

1. Ok guys I was wondering if someone could help me out AND/OR post what EXACTLY is needed in this conversion. I have a 91 XR7 and I just pulled the ABS unit out...

2.. I tried taking all the 3 brake lines aloose from the abs unit and I stripped the nuts on the lines going to the porportional valve so I had to break both lines at the unit. Am I screwed now? Now since the lines are broken how do I repair them?

2. It seems like alot of people are confused about where the lines go and exactly what lines go where. can someone help me out on this?

My number 1 concern though is the broken brake lines, I dont know how to fix them and any help would be appreciated

3. ok I was reading in the original post about the crown vic "block" well when the conversion is over and done with are there gonna be 2 "blocks" on the car or do I not use the original block thats on my car now?

Last edited:
This would probably have gotten more views back over in that thread; there are probably tons of folks already supbscribed to that thread...

Fastcat said:
1. Ok guys I was wondering if someone could help me out AND/OR post what EXACTLY is needed in this conversion. I have a 91 XR7 and I just pulled the ABS unit out...

Read it again, it takes a few times... Toward the end it becomes more clear.
There are some misunderstandings in the begginning part that are corrected later.
2.. I tried taking all the 3 brake lines aloose from the abs unit and I stripped the nuts on the lines going to the porportional valve so I had to break both lines at the unit. Am I screwed now? Now since the lines are broken how do I repair them?

Thats why "they" say to use flare nut wrenches, I'm glad I did, but I had one line twist real bad, so I just twisted it on off. It was just too rusted anyways.... Luckily I took a piece of brake line form the vicki that I can use in its place. I was lucky it was the one line going from the ABS unit to the SC block, so the short piece I had will keep me away from having to flare the broken line.

Unless you took alot of line when you cut, or twisted em bad, you're probably OK, as the line could stand to be shorter.

As for repairs, according to the parts guy at AZ, the lines are "bubble" flared, not double, or single, but "bubble" flared.

He said snapon was the only place I coud get it locally, if I could find the truck ;)

But there are other places:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...43998QQitemZ4571948943QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

2. It seems like alot of people are confused about where the lines go and exactly what lines go where. can someone help me out on this?

The picture on page 4 of the original thread shows which line is going where, but I am curious if there is acutally a 1 "in" and 2 "outs"
on that block, or what?

3. ok I was reading in the original post about the crown vic "block" well when the conversion is over and done with are there gonna be 2 "blocks" on the car or do I not use the original block thats on my car now?

Yes there will be 2 blocks.

The SC block will remain, it is down below on the "frame rail" area and will stay there, unless you are doing something different on purpose.

I am assuming the crown vic one is a proportioning valve, which that is yet to be answered... Which is why I would like to know if there are "ins" and "outs"??? The pic on page 4 shows one that has been setup for awhile, so I am planmning on copying that for now... When I take the motor out, I will readdress probably making it look neater, and mounting the block where it won't be all in the way...

Last edited:
I re-did the brakes on my 95 Tbird without ABS.
I am using a Combination valve from a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and I bent and flared all of the brake lines myself. I am using the combination valve because it still has rear drums, but when I upgrade those to Disc in the future, I will use a proportioning valve instead.
- Dan

Ok guys, I flared the brake lines and put everything together.... Went to bleed the brakes and 2 of the lines I flared are leaking. I believe I didnt flare them correctly. The people at autozone didnt know how to use the tool so I did what "looked" to be right. whats the proper way of flaring the ends?

Fastcat said:
Ok guys, I flared the brake lines and put everything together.... Went to bleed the brakes and 2 of the lines I flared are leaking. I believe I didnt flare them correctly. The people at autozone didnt know how to use the tool so I did what "looked" to be right. whats the proper way of flaring the ends?

edit: looks like I see what I did wrong, you said they are bubbled flared, and I double flared them

Back