High idle...

Johnny767

1990 SC

It idles at 1800 RPM. Code 32 comes up, "EGR VAlve not seated". I changed the EGR valve and still have the same code and idle problem. The IAC is working. When that plug is pulled the idle drops down but the engine still runs. Where is it getting the extra fuel from? Any ideas what to try next?

Many thanks,
Johnny

It seems to be the IAC (Idle Air Control) after all. When the new EGR valve had no effect, I took off the IAC and sprayed it with ignition cleaner. It is now idling at 1000RPM. Still a little high but I'm hoping that when the EEC re-learns things (I cleared it) then it should be OK.
I'll let you know. Thanks for the replies! (I did check the throttle body. That was a good suggestion because I can only think of 3 ways to get fuel at idle: IAC, Throttle body itself, and the EGR valve.)
There is no 'EGR sensor' that I know of; only a vacuum control to it. Don't ask me how the EEC computer generates an EGR code then...

Last edited:
Oh there is an EGR sensor alright, little gray box located by the EGR valve, it has an electrical connector on it as well as the extremely expensive silicon hose. If yours is a 94-95 then I am not sure if it is the same.

A working IAC when unplugged should stall the vehicle right out.

Back