same problem! getting frustrated!

89Superbird5spd

my sc was chugging before...so i replaced the cam and crank sensors, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator the problem went away for a while. then it happened again...and stopped happening for about 3 months. then one day my car died at a light and wouldnt start. so i dropped the gas tank, and replaced the fuel pump. i dont know what its called...but the circle on top of the gas tank (that is between the inside of the tank and the outside) has wires that run through it. i checked to see if the wires made a circuit through the circular plate on the tank...the positive wire wouldnt make a connection and the plastic around the wire was a little melted. i had another tank sitting around so i used the whole unit off the other tank (all the wires were good on that one). i put the tank back up and it was fine. that was about 3 weeks ago. now i was driving today and the tach started to dance and it started to chug again. i noticed a little bit of smoke also from under the hood for a few seconds. so i babied it home. i didnt notice any leaks under the car or any on the motor. im running out of ideas. anything is appreciated! thanks

You could try to see if your computer has any codes and go from there. Maybe its another problem that has similar symptoms.

Shane

i ran the codes and these popped up: 67, 44, 99, 51

67: improper signals are being received from either the neutral drive switch (NDS), neutral gear switch (NGS), neutral pressure switch (NPS), clutch switch (CS), manuallever position (MLP) sensor or air conditioner clutch (ACC) or A/C on during self-test (i had the AC off for sure during the test)

44: Problems in thermactor air control system (what the heck is a thermactor???)

99: the electronic control assembly (ECA) has not learned to control engine idle speed (ignore code 12 or 13) or, electronic pressure contol (EPC) solenoid-circuit failure.

51: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - signal voltage is too high

i went to autozone and they gave me
88: electrodrive fan circuit malfunction
14: profile ignition sensor circuit malfunction
49: spark timing fault SPOUT at 10deg circuit open
95: fuel pump secondary circuit open PCM/fuel pump ground

95 sounds like my problem....could it be just the relay causing this??

tbirdaj said:
where was that relay? location on the or in the car?

EVTM shows the fuel pump relay below the inertia switch in the trunk. Pull back the cover on the driver's side to find it.

mn12sc35th said:
EVTM shows the fuel pump relay below the inertia switch in the trunk. Pull back the cover on the driver's side to find it.

Thanks I appreciate the info

relay was inside the trunk on the left side near the cut off switch....however now the problem is still kind of there. occasionally it will chug in first up to 30 mph, but once i pass 30 it doesnt chug anymore. i forgot to add earlier that i already changed my plugs and wires

by chug, what do you mean? could it be that your engine detects ping and then retards the timing? Did you use the highest grade available? i'm sure you did, but i still ask. sounds like you've been having some fun messing with your gas tank a lot. i'm guessing it's been a while since you've ran a fuel treatment through? i usually like to toss one in once a month and i try not to let my gas tank go below a half tank so that there's always at least a small concentration of octane boost in there. when i use the normal gas without a treatment though or run the tank way down, i think i might experience something similar.

i noticed a little bit of smoke also from under the hood for a few seconds.

did you smell burning antifreeze?

I ask because mine is doing the same thing...again. I had to replace the throttle body coolant hose. And it worked fine. Another hose is broken and is leaking on a some of the electronics.

Does the chugging sound like a go-kart?

Stephen

Back