Home Made Exhaust Questions

1owner89

Well, I'm all ready to build my exhaust but I am having trouble finding exaust tubing. For those who welded up their own pipes where did you buy your tubes? I can't find anyone here in East Tennessee who sells it at a reasonable price. They either don't sell it at all or its crazy expensive.

1owner89 said:
Well, I'm all ready to build my exhaust but I am having trouble finding exaust tubing. For those who welded up their own pipes where did you buy your tubes? I can't find anyone here in East Tennessee who sells it at a reasonable price. They either don't sell it at all or its crazy expensive.
I bought all mine on Ebay - 2.5" stainless straight tubing and mandrel J bends to cut the turns from. Where is East Tennesse are you?

I bought mine by the foot at Meineke car care center. It was several years ago so I'm not sure about their prices now, but they were way cheaper than the competition. It is good thick tube too, no rust yet:).

Hey Super XR7 I'm also in Knoxville.

I found a lot of stainless stuff on ebay but I don't have my new welder set up for gas yet so I think i'll stay with mild steel. I was just going to flux core it since it will be my first experinece with my wire feed. Its got to be better than stick welding.

Thanks, I'll check with Meineke and jegs for prices.

Last edited:
tubey

Got pipe thru Summit. But I had a local shop make 1 foot length reducing head tubes and put flanges on them with the flared ends for $20 (under the table).

NOT Midas

What ever you do, DON'T buy your pipe from Midas. When they say Midas-ized, what they really mean is Midas SIZE. All exhaust pipe is measured by INSIDE diameter. Midas measures there pipe by OUTSIDE diameter. That means that only Midas pipe, will fit Midas pipe.

I found this out when I had Midas bend up a dual 2.25" exhaust system for my '68 XR-7. I bought two 2.25" turbo muffs from JC Whitney & had them shipped to Belgium. Then I shipped the Midas exhaust system in pieces, to Belgium. When I unpacked everything, the midas pipe wouldn't fit the muffs. When I measured it, I found out why. I ended up buying adapters from JC W, to make everything fit.

One funny side note to this, I couldn't get the adapters made in Belgium, because they said that there is no such thing as 2.25" exhaust pipe & even if there was, it was to big to put on ANY car. Even the exhaust on a MANN diesel lorry was to small.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
What ever you do, DON'T buy your pipe from Midas. When they say Midas-ized, what they really mean is Midas SIZE. All exhaust pipe is measured by INSIDE diameter. Midas measures there pipe by OUTSIDE diameter. That means that only Midas pipe, will fit Midas pipe.

I found this out when I had Midas bend up a dual 2.25" exhaust system for my '68 XR-7. I bought two 2.25" turbo muffs from JC Whitney & had them shipped to Belgium. Then I shipped the Midas exhaust system in pieces, to Belgium. When I unpacked everything, the midas pipe wouldn't fit the muffs. When I measured it, I found out why. I ended up buying adapters from JC W, to make everything fit.

One funny side note to this, I couldn't get the adapters made in Belgium, because they said that there is no such thing as 2.25" exhaust pipe & even if there was, it was to big to put on ANY car. Even the exhaust on a MANN diesel lorry was to small.

68COUGAR

My brother had a place in Maryville (roughly 20-30 mins south of Knoxville) do 2.25" exhaust from the cats back on his Mustang for only a few hundred $ (and he had them put flowmasters on there and I want to say they were 100-120$). I'm trying to see if I can find the name.... I've been away from there for a couple years (though I'm about to move back...Southern Oregon is boring as hell).

EDIT: I knew I liked yellowpages.com :p Here's the address and number:

BROADWAY MUFFLER SHOP
301 W BROADWAY AVENUE
MARYVILLE, TN 37801
Phone: (865) 984-0971

I can't say for sure if they can help you, but I've always heard good things about that place. :)

Last edited:
Back