moon roof issue

ThePikey

I have the ASC moon roof installed in my 90 SC and am now having an issue. I think the motor has decided to up and die, but the problem is, the window is open about 1/2 an inch....

my main issue with replacing the motor is... I DONT KNOW WHERE THE BLOODY THING IS LOCATED. do i need to remove the headliner to acces it? ive searched in the forums and have found very little help other than how to remove it. if anyone can tell me where the motor is located and how to remove it so i can put a new one in their help would be greatly appreciated.

That sux man. Im assumign that they would put the motor somewhere in the same vecinity as the factory one, which in our case is at the rear of the roof, right in the center near the windshield. We have an access panel there for the motor so what i'd suggest is maybe feel the top and see if there's a hole that might be where the motor is. Good luck

every thing is covered by the headliner.... cant really see anything. i dont want to remove the headliner UNLESS i have to.

Just before the back window on factory equipped moonroofs, there is a square panel that pops off and covers the motor. :cool:

there is no panel on my car. this is the ASC sun roof which from my under standing was dealer installed not factory installed

ThePikey said:
there is no panel on my car. this is the ASC sun roof which from my under standing was dealer installed not factory installed
Sounds similar to the moon roof in my XR7 and I believe you will have to remove the headliner to access it. Looks like you better hurry too, because it's supposed to rain today.

ThePikey said:
Figurez. Only advise I can offer on the headliner is to use a razor blade to cut through the overspill on the window sealant.. it is a black sticky tarlike substance. You don't need any of it on the headliner, but don't try to clean any of it off or you'll mess it up. You'll need to pull just about all of the door plastic and back panels off to do this which means taking the whole back seat out as well.
As for closing the moonroof, try applying forward pressure to the back side of the front edge while holding the switch closed with the key on (of course) so that the motor has power. If that sounded complicated... just help it some.. You checked fuses, right? :cool:

i havnt tried to remove the head liner yet... been fighting with putting in a new steering rack at work today...

but i did try to push it closed with the key on and didnt work to any avail... the motor has been sluggish for some time... and ive had to repeatadly hit the open button a to get the window all the way open... i think it just got old and died

ill give an update on it as soon as i get to that project.... although its next followed by solid motor mounts and upper ball joints on each side. ( by time im through with this car it will be entirely new)

Back