automatic window motor issue

needlessthing

Ok the other day my passenger side window just stops going up and down. Motor sounds to be running but not going up or down. SO I figured the window was off track or something like that. I opened the door panel up and the window was still on track. The motor runs when I hit the button just the window doesnt go up and down. So i figured that I can remove it to see if I can get a better look at it. So I start unscrewing everything and just cant seem to figure out how to get it out. Any able to give me alittle insight on this? I never though a window motor would be such a pain in the ~~~.

I am thinking the gears are stripped or something.

The plastic gears inside your window motor are probably totally destroyed. You can rebuild them yourself with a rebuild kit that you can buy at an auto store for cheap. You'll need to remove your window first, by taking off the door panel, and both of the trim pieces on the inside and outside. Then position your window so you can see the nuts that hold it onto the track through the holes in the door and take them off. Then you can push the window away from the track and side it out diagonally. Your motor will come out by taking off the 3 bolts that attach it to the door. The motor cover is held on by one rivet and 3 screws. You should disassemble the whole motor assembly to clean out all of the little plastic parts. Depending on what year your TBird is, it may be one big gear, or 3 small gears. Reassemble it with new grease, put it back together the opposite way it all came out and you're good to go.
- Dan

R & R a window motor is actually very easy job. You do not need to take out the window. After the door panel is off, do the three bolts holding the motor, disconnect the wire harness plug, and remove the motor out through the speaker hole. Only takes a few minutes even if you haven't done it before. John

go to www.mn12performance.com and look at the kit that Rich sells to repair the window motor drive that fails due to the coupling for the motor to the gear shaft. (It won't fix it if it's an actual electrical motor problem)

He has a good writeup on the replacement of the part linked there that will help you.

It takes no more than 5 minutes to remove the door panel and get at the motor. There is info there on how to do this as well. It's simple...dimple, just be careful with the plastic trim parts.

Or if you are a member here there is a writeup I did in the member area FAQ section.

Back