Brake woes???

bustedbird

The problem this time is the brake lights. When I press on the pedal, they don't come on. The cruise also doesn't shut off when the pedal is pushed. I replaced the "stop light switch" as the parts store called it, but that didn't remedy the problem. What is the yellow button above the stop light switch that moves out when you press the pedal, and goes back in when depressed? Would that be the problem? I'm lost, need help, thanks guys!

There is a brake light switch on the brake pedal. I'm not sure if the cruise is connected to it or not, but if the bulbs and fuses are good, I'd look at the switch on the pedal.

NCredSC said:
There is a brake light switch on the brake pedal. I'm not sure if the cruise is connected to it or not, but if the bulbs and fuses are good, I'd look at the switch on the pedal.

The switch that I replaced is the one on the pedal. It goes on the pin on the pedal that the master cylinder plunger is attached to.

You got me. That's all I can think of. Maybe the switch you bought was bad or the wrong one. Just a thought, but it does seem that it must have something to do with it, since the brake lights and cruise are involved in the problem.

yea i think cruise is hooked to brake light switch so thats what im guessing or a wire to it is broken off

rlong said:
yea i think cruise is hooked to brake light switch so thats what im guessing or a wire to it is broken off

Would you happen to know where the two wires go? I don't really want to hack up the wiring harness to find out. Would I be able to jump the plug by sticking a piece of wire in there, or would that cause serious damage? Thanks again!

bustedbird said:
Would you happen to know where the two wires go? I don't really want to hack up the wiring harness to find out. Would I be able to jump the plug by sticking a piece of wire in there, or would that cause serious damage? Thanks again!

89 EVTM shows a Light Green/Red wire going into the brake switch from the Stop Lamp fuse on the fuse box, and then a Light Green going to the ECU and to the rear stop lights (though it changes to a Drak Green wire before going back from the dash). The ECU gives the inputs to switch the Cruise Control off from the brake switch according to this (and the clutch switch in your case, it's actually right in the same circuit going to the ECU).

The coloring should be the same for a 90 (all of it has been on my 35th thus far).

Last edited:
Well, I can't seem to figure it out. Changed every bulb, fuse, new brake light switch, everything that I could think of. When I press on the brake hard, the firm light comes on. I have no idea what is wrong, I am about to give up on this pile! Thanks for the ideas guys.

bustedbird said:
Well, I can't seem to figure it out. Changed every bulb, fuse, new brake light switch, everything that I could think of. When I press on the brake hard, the firm light comes on. I have no idea what is wrong, I am about to give up on this pile! Thanks for the ideas guys.

The firm light coming on is normal so thats a non issue. You also have to remember that the turn signals use the same lights, sssoooooo..............

Is your turn signals and emergency flashers all working properly?

Frit

It's not too unusual for the plug going to the brake switch to break or loosen. Check the wiring to the switch.

Turn signals and flashers work fine. The wiring going to the plug seems to be fine. I guess that I will have to take it to the shop, I 'm tired of not being able to drive this car. Thanks guys!

bustedbird said:
Turn signals and flashers work fine. The wiring going to the plug seems to be fine. I guess that I will have to take it to the shop, I 'm tired of not being able to drive this car. Thanks guys!

I have a problem where my firm ride won't come on with hard braking. Cruise will stop but the ARC won't engage....

Back