deformed BHJ...

sizemoremk

Hey guys, I got a sed BHJ along with some other parts form a worthless bastard here on the board. Some of you may have read the thread where I had to call his superiors in the Navy to get him to send me my stuff...

Anyways, he sent me a BHJ with a dicked up keyway, pissed does not describe my current mood....

I am assuming this thing is ruined, but just in case, what do ya'll think...

Is it salvagable???

It isn't likely that welding and recutting it is be feasible is it???

The outer half of the keyway sems OK, the inner half, was deformed...

Here are the pics, advice woudl be appreciated...

The other reason I'm pissed is becasue he wrapped them up in a jacket, and threw em in a box, where the balancer, aluminum jackshaft pulley, and underdrive pullies are all nicked to hell.... They are "new" but now they are all nicked up... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC03289.JPG
    DSC03289.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC03287.JPG
    DSC03287.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC03292.JPG
    DSC03292.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC03286.JPG
    DSC03286.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 157
looks pretty bad. I can almost bet that he didn't hone it out, and it was really tight and the keyway wasn't lined up for at least the first few attempts to get it on there. You can weld in there and try to repair it, but, Is it worth the effort? I picked up my BHJ for like $220, with zero miles on it, the guy decided to part out the fresh motor. But anyways, mine looked like I got it brand new, with not even a spec of rust. I'd keep your eyes open and try to find another one in mint shape.

I would say more likely it has been honed too much and was loose. You can't cause that kind of damage during installation. I've seen it before, I'd have a new keyway cut into it. A good machine shop should be able to do that.

XR7 Dave said:
I would say more likely it has been honed too much and was loose. You can't cause that kind of damage during installation. I've seen it before, I'd have a new keyway cut into it. A good machine shop should be able to do that.

I made that mistake with my first BHJ, I thought the keyway was lined up perfect and it was not and i fudged up the keyway. I sent it out to my machine shop and they cut a new key way and re-zero balanced it out. It is perfect and is now on my other SC.

XR7 Dave said:

Those guys who had a new keyway cut, is it cut 180 degrees out, and does the sensor ring also flip 180 correctly?

Thanks!

Personally I dont think you need to cut a new keyway, Use a file to debur the keyway as is and see how it fits. Even if the first lil bit is somewhat messed up it should work..

That doensrt even look like a BHJ..Then again I only dealt with 94/95 style ones

I gues it was really one of those too good to be true deals....

At the time no-one had any in stock

All I wanted was a BHJ this dude offered me, then he talked me into taking a set of underdrives and SCP jackshaft pulley; all for 375 shipped at one point this guy had a thread trying to sell oll of the items for alot more... I also seen the pics and they were in brand new condition; until this complete retard wrapped them all up in an old jacket and threw em in a big box with no packing material, and they got all scratched and marked up, I assume this is how the sensor ring got bent....

So at 375 for all that, its not a total loss especially since the machinist said it was only like $30 to get a new keyway cut... I also got a Pm or two about this bhj, and a couple people seem to be using them in this condition... But I want to go ahead and get a new keyway cut for good measure.

I need to know if the sensor ring can be rotated 180, or how I need to go about realigning the sensor ring...

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Personally I dont think you need to cut a new keyway, Use a file to debur the keyway as is and see how it fits. Even if the first lil bit is somewhat messed up it should work..

That doensrt even look like a BHJ..Then again I only dealt with 94/95 style ones

Its a BHJ, unless he had some other balancer enscribed with a "BHJ" marking on it :D

It just happens that he forgot to mention the chewed up keyway...

Before doing anything you should have measured your crank and mic the dampner to make sure you had the .001 press fit that BHJ wants. I think its .001 im not sure any more

I must be going blind in my old age haha..I still dont like getting a new keyway cut..Ive seen worse Much worse working just fine

Back